Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Checking suitcases on a plane with beer in them

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Checking suitcases on a plane with beer in them

Post by spinrsx »

I have a basic/regular canvas type roller suitcase and no matter how well I pack my beer (individually bubble wrapped etc) a few break during the trip. I'm wondering if I had one of those newer clam shell type suitcases if it would make any difference. Anyone use one of these suitcases with their beer?

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I've used both. Hasn't made a difference to me. Just wrap them well.. I usually put them in a sock with a t-shirt around it. No breakages yet, with about 175 beers transported in the air.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Really? I have done multiple trips with no breaks. Mabel has a good system, put a sock or three over each bottle then bubble wrap and/or a plastic bag. Then put into a box or wrap clothes around that. The trick is to make sure they are not moving around.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I still contend the smartest marketing decision Central City did was can all their beer. Even when it started showing up in Ontario, I kept schlepping Red Racer and their other beers back on every trip!

As for the other circumstances, pack well and avoid Air Canada, just look at how they treat passengers and you'll get an idea of what they do to luggage. :x
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I brought back 50+ bottles. Mostly bombers back from Vwgas. Three separate soft material type suitcases. Just tons if bubble wrap shirts and paper from the hotel phone book. Not a single break.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm probably near the 50 bottle mark without breakage (touch wood), I just bag, sock, wrap in clothes and make sure there is no possibility of movement within the case
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I don't think the airline really matters that much, my only bottle break I've had was with Porter.

Socks & shirts, the way to go!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

icemachine wrote:I'm probably near the 50 bottle mark without breakage (touch wood), I just bag, sock, wrap in clothes and make sure there is no possibility of movement within the case
Another option, if you have them available is wrapping your bottles with diapers. I did that coming back from Mexico last year when I brought back a bunch of hot sauce. It actually worked good because the diapers provide good padding, plus if there was a break, it would absorb a bunch of the liquid.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I double ziplock bag my bottles and cans, wrap them in some sort of garment and pack such that there is no movement in the suitcase. No breakages yet.
lister

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I do the same as Lister, but also take along protective wine sacs with me. Never had a breakage but I have had one bottle leak from the cap.

All you need is sealable food bags (650ml bottles do fit in these) bubble wrap and sticky tape.

I even pack an extra suitcase inside the large case, so the bottles are packed on their own.

Managed to bring back about 50 bottles from San Fran, on a plane, doing it this way.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Torontoblue wrote: All you need is sealable food bags (650ml bottles do fit in these) bubble wrap and sticky tape.

I even pack an extra suitcase inside the large case, so the bottles are packed on their own.

Managed to bring back about 50 bottles from San Fran, on a plane, doing it this way.
I often do the same... the second bag is even more critical with lower weight limits.

On the last trip I didn't want to haul an extra bag, and I ended up a bit over the weight limit... which actually cost more than checking a second bag. :cry:

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Yup, over weight bag was going to cost $400.00. A 2nd checked bag was just $40.00.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Torontoblue wrote:Yup, over weight bag was going to cost $400.00. A 2nd checked bag was just $40.00.
Airline policies are ridiculous that way.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I've done well using some sort of box liner material (like those thin cardboard separators you see in bottle cartons), newspaper, socks and tees, and the all-important ZipLok bag.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i have a set of heavy cardboard tubes that were previously carpet rolls from a local rona. cut them to length, with a 1" styrofoam cap for each end. holds 12 or bombers and damn near indestructible. i wrap each in a layer of bubble wrap or socks just to stop them from jiggling.

for 750's, i either bring a 12 bottle styro shipper or use fedex shipping tubes cut in half (free to anyone with an also free fedex acct). you can even leave them unassembled for the trip down, and if you don't need them they form an extra layer of barrier from side impacts.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/