Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

warning on the label of the pothole filler

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

warning on the label of the pothole filler

Post by JeffPorter »

"Allergy Alert: Contains Barley and Fish"

Really?

Oyster stout? There's nothing else on the label to suggest that.

And then I thought it was a joke, but why would anyone joke around with what's essentially a legal disclaimer?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Seriously? I haven't noticed that. I will take a look at my 2 remaining bottles.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Finings/swim bladder?

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Finings. Isinglass is/are fish bladders.

They have to put that stuff on LCBO labels now. Ingredients and/or allergen alerts.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

boney wrote:Finings/swim bladder?
Care to explain what this means?

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Thanks.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Wow had no idea. Incidently, fish or no fish, it's a nice stout. Might be a little "Molassesy", for some, but I quite like it. Thicker mouthfeel than the new Tempest, (but maybe not as much as Bolshevik Bastard or Hellwoods), but still pretty nice.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

New allergen labelling guidelines came into effect August of this year. May or may not see some interesting things on labels in the future!

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiq ... ex-eng.php

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Wow had no idea.
Yeah, that's why many/most real ales are not vegan.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

midlife crisis wrote:
Wow had no idea.
Yeah, that's why many/most real ales are not vegan.
So most casks use finings too?

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Yup. It might be gelatin or it could be isinglass but I would say that most do. Worth asking, though.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

Hey folks,

A couple things about isinglass and gelatin from a vegetarian (yeah, I know, there are 3 vegetarian beer nerds in Tronna, me, my brother, and one of my brother's buddies) ...

First, all finings (whirlfloc / Irish moss, Polyclar, gelatin, DE, etc.) either drop out of suspension or filtered out. They shouldn't EVER end up in the finish product. If they do, there's something wrong with the beer.

Second, when it comes to animal bits, I believe, although others differ, that if you aren't consuming it, it's OK.

Third, while I can't speak for all our local brewers, I can say that Volo doesn't fine its casks. Most NA brewers don't bother fining casks because it's a total PITA, especially since most NA consumers don't care about, and are sometimes freaked out by, bright casks. Although you can get bright casks with patience (just like you can with bottle conditioning).

Jason

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

JasonTremblay wrote:Hey folks,

A couple things about isinglass and gelatin from a vegetarian (yeah, I know, there are 3 vegetarian beer nerds in Tronna, me, my brother, and one of my brother's buddies) ...

First, all finings (whirlfloc / Irish moss, Polyclar, gelatin, DE, etc.) either drop out of suspension or filtered out. They shouldn't EVER end up in the finish product. If they do, there's something wrong with the beer.

Second, when it comes to animal bits, I believe, although others differ, that if you aren't consuming it, it's OK.

Third, while I can't speak for all our local brewers, I can say that Volo doesn't fine its casks. Most NA brewers don't bother fining casks because it's a total PITA, especially since most NA consumers don't care about, and are sometimes freaked out by, bright casks. Although you can get bright casks with patience (just like you can with bottle conditioning).

Jason
I wish the LCBO and the CFIA had your common sense about this issue. ;)

I know there are NA brewers who fine their casks. It's not a huge PITA. No more a PITA than dry hopping or priming. it's just part of the process. I've been part of that process at a brewery and at home and it's really not that big a deal.

I think some of the issue of animal bits is wrt vegans. No part of an animal is used anywhere. No leather, no egg white for clarifying (in cooking), no finings in beer etc., it's not limited to the consumption of the animal.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Generally, the British-style brewers (Welly, Stone Hammer, Granite, etc) fine their casks when the beer style calls for it (pale ales, etc). The more NA-style brewers, as noted, often don't (Great Lakes, Amsterdam, etc). From a vegetarian point of view, Isinglass generally isn't a problem, because it isn't actually there (unless you pull beer right to the bottom of the cask, which is where it settles). From a vegan's view, though, it is problematic, because an animal product was used in the making, even if it doesn't get consumed. When Casto's moved to a full vegetarian menu, we made an effort to provide vegan options, and so note on our chalk boards which casks are un-fined (or fined with non-animal finings). We also get casks specially un-fined from Welly and Stone Hammer (which as noted, is easier to do anyways). Interestingly, the vegan casks generally move faster than the fined ones. Except for Granite Best Bitter Special, which is fined and bright and lovely, and sells faster than almost anything else.