Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brew storage/racking/shelving

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zombi69

Brew storage/racking/shelving

Post by zombi69 »

What do some of you use to store those agable brews? Wine racks/shelves? Ideas? Suggestions?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

zombi69 wrote:What do some of you use to store those agable brews? Wine racks/shelves? Ideas? Suggestions?
The floor in my crawl space - my wife is not pleased.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I built a wood shelf. Shelf has been full for a while, so now I use the floor beside the shelf for the overflow. I have too much beer.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I use a cupboard in my basement with styrofoam on the sides and a few newspapers taped together at the front for insulation. Also, store those bottles upright.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Cold Cellar. Bottles stored upright
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Built myself a storage shelving unit from scratch for the reserves.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/ ... edia_share

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I went and bought of old crates from an antique place for $5 each. I made them stable, and they work perfect.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/n ... 2dc6d6.jpg

I used an oil to darken them, but ran out so one is still kind of light coloured. This is the space beneath my stairs going to the basement.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Dark, cool and upright. For me, cardboard boxes in my storage room in the basement. Not pretty, but it works.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

nickelass wrote:I went and bought of old crates from an antique place for $5 each. I made them stable, and they work perfect.

I used an oil to darken them, but ran out so one is still kind of light coloured. This is the space beneath my stairs going to the basement.
Nice, love the collection as well!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

nickelass wrote:I went and bought of old crates from an antique place for $5 each. I made them stable, and they work perfect.

I love your cellar. Thanks for posting the pic.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Thanks!! It's been many years in progress.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ikea shelving in my crawlspace, and whatever doesn't fit on the shelves is in boxes in the crawlspace. I went for dark and fairly cool over fancy.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We live in a condo so no basement. We have a locker at the Fine Wine Reserve where we keep most of our wine and some beer. It's temperature and humidity controller. Beer bottles are stored upright.
lister

dickhandsome

Post by dickhandsome »

So when we say "cool" what do we mean? I see a lot of people store in their crawl spaces. My crawl space never really dips below 65 F is that OK? I figured most of this stuff should be kept around 55 F? I have a little beer fridge that sits around 47 F. That is where I've been keeping everything. I know it shouldn't be stored in a fridge but, it's closer temperature wise.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

65 isn't bad as long as its pretty constant with no fast variations, not ideal, but not horrible either
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole