My beer collection - any I should drink?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
KW1
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am

Postby KW1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 am

Some very helpful info here. Thx
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1956
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby midlife crisis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am

Regarding what's in whose cellar:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8524
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am

I wonder who (an individual, not a beer bar or restaurant) has the most bottles in their cellar in all of Canada? I bet there are at least a handfull of people out there with 1,000+ bottles...
User avatar
Weebay
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:37 am
Location: Toronto

Postby Weebay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I wonder who (an individual, not a beer bar or restaurant) has the most bottles in their cellar in all of Canada? I bet there are at least a handfull of people out there with 1,000+ bottles...


Yeah, you.
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2254
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby spinrsx » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am

just wondering how people with large cellars deal with beer best before dates. I see on the westy 12's I just bought a best before date of 2015. Does that mean it won't be good after that date? At which point is it a waste to keep hanging onto a beer? If beer can be kept for longer than the best before date, why do they bother to list a date at all?
User avatar
Torontoblue
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2136
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Edmonton via Toronto via The Wirral

Postby Torontoblue » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 am

It's an industry standard that you have to put a BB date on beer, especially in Europe where they are stricter regards dating products, seeing as the beer is classed as a perishable, and the maximum BB date tends to be 2 years from bottling date.

I have a bottle of the Nelson Sauvin from Mikkeller, BB date is sometime in 2023, I think.
Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:25 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Kel Varnsen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 am

Torontoblue wrote:It's an industry standard that you have to put a BB date on beer, especially in Europe where they are stricter regards dating products, seeing as the beer is classed as a perishable, and the maximum BB date tends to be 2 years from bottling date.


I know for the fuller's vintage ale there is a little explanation on the box or the card inside it that says they are required by law to put one on, but that the flavour will continue to change and possibly get better for many years after that date.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Weebay wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I wonder who (an individual, not a beer bar or restaurant) has the most bottles in their cellar in all of Canada? I bet there are at least a handfull of people out there with 1,000+ bottles...


Yeah, you.
LOL, I have nowhere near 1,000 bottles and I highly doubt I have the buggest cellar in Canada.
kinguy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Mississauga

Postby kinguy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Torontoblue wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:A general rule of thumb...
Don't age:

Any beer below 8% ABV (aside from wild ales, lambics, etc)


But you can age Black Oak's Double Chocolate Cherry Stout for a good few years. A 5 year old bottle has great soured cherry & cocoa flavours. The Nutcracker ages well, too.

While drinkable, I found that the Double Chocolate Cherry Stout loses something...maybe a bit bitter/sour cherry flavour. I've had better results with the Nutcracker. After three years, the carbonation fades, but the beer is still quite nice.
User avatar
mixedup
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby mixedup » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm with those who posted earlier with respect to the Red Racer....don't sit on that. I've found it starts to taste 'stale' a lot quicker than the 6 months until next summer...

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests