Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Next Beer Frenzy?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Next Beer Frenzy?

Post by Cass »

So, all this Westyinsanity made me think about if there was anything else that could top this?

Off the top of my head I think Cantillon, even though it's been here before, could make a splash if it hit the LCBOs. As could a Zwanze Day if we had one in Toronto. Doubt it would be as big as this though.

I'm purposely excluding a beer like Dark Lord as that doesn't get sold anywhere else so not realistic.

Any thoughts?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think Cantillon would be interesting... lots of people trying to return "spoiled" bottles.

Personally I think anything limited should be a lottery now.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Cantillon is an abvious one.

I guess the real question is, what could the LCBO possilby get that would cause write ups in the Toronto Star, etc.? That is really what caused a big part of this hype. Cantillon seems somewhat realistic and defintiely hype-able. I am not sure what else would meet both of those criteria. Maybe some bourbon county stout now that Goose Island is producing it as a year-round?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tactical Nuclear Penguin or another of these "world's strongest" types?

I dunno. I think Westy was the ultimate and will never be topped, based on its reputation and (heretofore) lack of availability.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

While Cantillon certainly has the cred to get many beer enthusiasts frothing, I think the overall taste profile would not be appealing to the masses. No mainstream craze there.

I wonder if Utopias will come back, and in any bigger volume.
Last edited by KW1 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I suppose Pliny would cause some hand-wringing but seems pretty far-fetched considering it's pretty limited distribution in the States.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

KW1 wrote:While Cantillon certainly has the cred to get many beer enthusiasts frothing, I think the overall taste profile would not be appealing to the masses. No mainstream craze there.
Which has me thinking ... I'm not sure that Westy 12 is going to appeal to half of the people who bought it...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Without question people bought into the hype. We have had numerous Trappists available in the past with arguably the same level of quality (Rochefort, etc.) but none of them had a response like this.

Hell, all Westy's were available for tasting at Volo last night and I doubt there was a lineup 3 hours ahead of time!

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I don't know what to think of a Cantillon LCBO release. If it was picked up it might catch fire like Westy, but it seems less likely because (a) it's not a once in a lifetime abby wide-release (b) the highest Cantillon is 15th on BA, but it's only 5% so, to a lot of people, the value for money ($20-$30 a bottle perhaps) is not going to be there. It would certainly have beer-geek line ups, but I'm doubtful of a really big gawker/hype interest (though it would be great if everyone wanted Cantillon that bad!).

I mean, how many people are rushing out to buy the best wine in the world when it's at the LCBO. The third best wine of the year (2012) from Wine Spectator, Two Hands Shiraz Barossa Valley Bella’s Garden 2010, is in stock at the LCBO for $64.95. I don't see the lineups for that.

If the LCBO could get Heady Topper (I think that's perhaps more likely than Pliny if only for geographic reasons) maybe the same rush would be there. But, looking at the forums on BA for what people are looking to trade for, I don't see why Peché doesn't get rushed off the shelves. Maybe all this heightened beer awareness will make the Le Trou Du Diable release more highly anticipated!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

I imagine the gift pack aspect, combined with the rarity and the story behind the production increased the hype. Heady or Pliny might be more desired by beer geeks, but unless they were released around christmas, in rare numbers with a gift pack, I don't see this kind of turn out just for bottles (or cans as it were). And even if they did release a rare christmas gift pack that they wouldn't have the great story about how the release is used to generate money to repair an 19th century monastery, which seems to be mentioned in all the media stories and certainly adds to the interest.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

While the media hype certainly played a part, Westy's years of "elusiveness" is what really drove it. Even a moderate beer fan has probably heard of it. Also, as it is European, you don't run into the "American beer" misconceptions the general public still holds. It's easy to believe the hype when it's a Monk-made beer with a hard to pronounce name. I think that history makes this a nearly-unique event. If Utopias had been put on a shelf, it would have been bigger. Think tents.

So what could come close? Maybe Pannepot, for the Euro/difficult to pronounce front. Maybe TNP or Bismarck, which has the benefit of being extremely expensive, as well as having a great back story. But it's true that some really stellar beers have come through without any fanfare. For the US crafty, maybe Pliny, maybe Founders CBS if they make a big enough batch, or something well-known like DFH 120 or Stone AB.

Could you imagine if the LCBO got 650mls of 120 and sold it for like $30/each?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

chris_schryer wrote:
Could you imagine if the LCBO got 650mls of 120 and sold it for like $30/each?
I'd buy a case and resell them for a $100 each!

[/bitter voice]
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Westy was the perfect storm of hype, media, quality, growing interest in craft beer, collectibility and Christmas. It wont be equalled. However, it marks a change in beer culture in Ontario. Craft beer isn't a secret anymore. More and more peole will gravitate to craft because of it's superior quality. Everyone who enjoys craft beer wont become an obsessive beer geek, but the density of beer geeks will increase simply due to greater exposure.

It will be interesting to see if the number or rare highly desireable products in Ontario keeps pace with the growing fandom. If not, conpetition for those products may become intense. Mark my words, all an Ontario brewer needs to do to get a cult beer is brew an outstanding product that gets close to a 4.0/5.0 on RB or BA (which there are several who are now capable), barrel age it and make a limited availabilty annual event out of its release and we will see our own little Dark Lord Day, Pliny the Younger etc.

Don't think it'll happen? Line ups for Westy, Bellwoods first couple pop up shops and Amsterdam's Sleeping Giant selling out of 400 bottles on a Tuesday (or Thursday, I can't remember) suggest the climate is right.

And my guess for the next little mini frenzy will be when Kuhnhenn's 4D hits. And I swear to God, if any of you get in my way, I will cut you! :wink:

(disclaimer: that's a total joke...the cutting, not the 4D..... but you never know who's going to call you for being literal on the ol' interwebs these days)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So...when's the Cantillon coming? :wink:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

We should be getting Jester King Black Metal in Quebec through Bieropholie.... that should be mad.

Other than that, I think if Kuhnhenn 4th dimentia comes out, and we get a brewery feature... Raspberry eisbock could cause carnage also.