Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Scotch whiskey recommendation?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cagiva650

Scotch whiskey recommendation?

Post by Cagiva650 »

My father is a Scotch whiskey lover. For the past three years since he turned 70 I have given him a good bottle of Single malt for his birthday. Last year it was a bottle of Highland Park 15 year old ($89 here in Newfoundland).
Any of you people with good beer tastes like Scotch? What would you recommend I give to Dad this year?

Cheers
Frank

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Ardbeg 10 year

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Not a single malt, but if you can find any still the Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Macallan Cask Strength
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Aberlour A'bunadh

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Not a single malt, but if you can find any still the Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary
That would be Irish. When it comes to Scotch, I've found Abelour to be well rec'd, and their A'Bunadh is a nice cask-strength whisky.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Second Ardbeg. Lovely.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Having a bit more info to go on would help a little; is there a preference of whisky/whiskey that he enjoys, or is he open to any style/flavouring?

There's a world of difference from drinking an Ardbeg/Springbank to something along the lines of a Glenrothes, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie etc etc.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

And what's your price point?

Not too familiar with what is at the LCBO, but a Dalwhinnie 15yr is a tremendous value. Should be able to score one for about $80.

Edit: and really no idea what's in Neefoundland

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Torontoblue wrote:Having a bit more info to go on would help a little; is there a preference of whisky/whiskey that he enjoys, or is he open to any style/flavouring?

There's a world of difference from drinking an Ardbeg/Springbank to something along the lines of a Glenrothes, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie etc etc.
I am not sure what to say. He used to drink Glenfiddich 12 Year Old and Johnny Walker Red Label. But that was mostly because he would never spend a lot of money on himself. Last year I bought the Highland Park 15 year old, the year before it was Macallan Cask Strength, the year before was Laphroaig Quarter Cask. He enjoyed them all. The Ardbeg recommendation looks interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I was looking at bottles from $75 to $120. I want to get him a treat he would not buy for himself.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

You know what is a really good single malt, and it may still be available at LCBO (not sure about Newfoundland) is the Penderyn Single Malt from Wales. A really nice, fine drop!
Last edited by Torontoblue on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I was going to suggest either Macallan (cask) or Laphroaig, but since you just replied stating that you've got those for him before, then my two ideas wend out the window.

I haven't had it, but the NLC currently has a Glenfiddich "Cask of Dreams Single Malt Scotch" for around $100. Looking around a bit makes me think that it's a Glenfiddich stepped up a little bit, so if he's liked that in the past this might be a way to give him something familiar, but a little special.

Anyway, that's my thought! It's in stock at the NLC. Click here for stock.

I've always found the NLC is a little easier for scotch shopping than the LCBO for some reason. Probably because the LCBO doesn't stock my favourite cheep scotch, Robert Burns Blended!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Selection of Scotch whisky is a little lacking looking at the NLC website. Best I could see was Glenrothes 1995 for around $90.00.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Torontoblue wrote:Selection of Scotch whisky is a little lacking looking at the NLC website. Best I could see was Glenrothes 1995 for around $90.00.
Ah, but NS has some great stuff. Including Ardbeg 10 year :wink:

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

KW1 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Selection of Scotch whisky is a little lacking looking at the NLC website. Best I could see was Glenrothes 1995 for around $90.00.
Ah, but NS has some great stuff. Including Ardbeg 10 year :wink:
Nova Scotia has the Ardbeg and the interesting Penderyn. It may be time to go to Halifax for a few at the Hart and Thistle, and shop for whiskey. :D