Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Growlers?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Until this week, I'd never actually purchased a growler, so I don't know what a typcial deposit is for screw-top. On my way home from holiday travel earlier this week, I stopped by the Publican House Brewery in Peterborough and paid a $3.50 deposit on a growler.
$4 at the Granite for a 1.5 l. Not sure what their return rate is, or if it costs them too much loss.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$25 is an extravagant surcharge, not a 'deposit'. But is it logical? If it makes the buyers come back to the store, those consumers might keep buying Amsterdam beer. It's like a refundable 'growler membership fee.'

Imagine if the beer store sold singles of Orval and Rochefort, they'd have our business, too when we brought our empties.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Regardless of how much the growler costs, $25 is clearly the "If you're not refilling it with our beer, please return the growler!" fee. If it is refundable, who cares?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:If it is refundable, who cares?
THIS.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

JerCraigs wrote:Regardless of how much the growler costs, $25 is clearly the "If you're not refilling it with our beer, please return the growler!" fee. If it is refundable, who cares?
My point exactly.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

liamt07 wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Regardless of how much the growler costs, $25 is clearly the "If you're not refilling it with our beer, please return the growler!" fee. If it is refundable, who cares?
My point exactly.
People who don't live or work relatively close to the brewery aren't going to make a special trip to get their deposit back. They next time they are there, they will probably just get another one. In this case you have pretty much just bought a $25 growler.

I just don't understand why they have to be 2x the price that they are everywhere else.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

You could always buy bottles and return them to the BS.

Growlers are generally a local behaviour.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Tapsucker wrote:You could always buy bottles and return them to the BS.

Growlers are generally a local behaviour.
what if the beer you want is only availible in a growler

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I've purchased growlers from stores in the States before because they sometimes have different beers available on tap than in bottles.

It's not a purely local behaviour at all.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

andrewrg wrote:I've purchased growlers from stores in the States before because they sometimes have different beers available on tap than in bottles.

It's not a purely local behaviour at all.
So far everything I've seen in growlers at Amsterdam was also in bottles, but that has just been on a couple visits.

As for local. Growlers in the UK were to bring beer home from your local pub. In the US it's been (sadly) to have some to consume on the way home after you leave. Being the US that usually means drinking it in the car.
These are generalizations, since many people do use them to get a special beer from the taps for home consumption, but that;s not where the idea started.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The "growler" from the point of view of the evolution of packaging is clearly shown in a trailer at which portrays the history of beer in Buffalo, NY.

The galvanized pail (with the lid that allowed the growling sound) is a great part of that evolution that included stone, leather, human bone, copper, ceramic, pewter, lead, glass, steel, paper, aluminum, HDPE and PET. The fact that it was meant to get beer home quickly for immediate consumption (no cars available) sounds pretty much how it is used today except you don't get the attentions of the coed