Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What Brew Will You Be Ringing In The New Year With?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Droogy wrote:i have a bottle of the '11... never got the '12. don't think it ever came to the lcbo this year... or am i
Not at the LCBO this year (it was the Vintage Ale's year). I picked my '12 RIS at Broue Ha Ha.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Will probably be at Volo and I think they are pouring the West 12 then :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Publican

Post by Publican »

Koningshoevan La Trappe Tripel. Will also have the Unibroue Terrible

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Debating between Alesmith Horny Devil and Old Numbskull ;)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JerCraigs wrote:Debating between Alesmith Horny Devil and Old Numbskull ;)
im going with Speedway :D

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Managed to get some of the BA Stalin's Choice this morning at GLB so I'll save that for tonight.... ;)

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Droogy wrote:Managed to get some of the BA Stalin's Choice this morning at GLB so I'll save that for tonight.... ;)
I wonder if the bottles they released today are from the same batch they released in the summer. Let us know how it is drinking now. I had one bottle in the summer and felt it need a bit more time. I have one left that I have been debating about opening sometime soon.

Soods

Post by Soods »

They said it was the 2011 batch, so maybe it's the same one you've got.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Ninkasi/21st Amendment 'Allies Win The War' to see in the New Year, and then Iron Horse Brewing's Mocha Death as the first beer of 2013.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

I had a bottle of DeuS (Brut Des Flandres). Seemed appropriate.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

We were in the Niagara area recently for some R&R, and I decided to try two beers when there. One was called Bicentennial Ale, this was at the excellent Angel pub in Niagara-on-the-Lake and is one of the house brands. I asked the server about it and she said just that it was brewed in Toronto. From the taste I couldn't hazard a guess who made it. It was very similar to a good English bitter (the straw-coloured type) except chilled and fizzy. Went very well with fish and chips.

The other beer was First Draft, the ale, not the lager. It's from the craft brewery connected to the Niagara Teaching College's brewing school, I understand it makes two bottled beers under this name, ale and lager, but left the lager for another time.

This was very decent with a strong pineapple estery quality and some good malt and hop, probably a good beer to acquaint mass market lager fans with something different but not turn them away at first sip. Nice bottle too with an attractive fired-on retro-style label.

Gary
Gary Gillman