Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

New Brewery

Post by The_Jester »

According to my highly-placed confidential sources, the brewing scene in the Peterborough area will be adding a new member this summer.

Two brothers, one a long-time homebrewer who recently studied the art in Belgium, have bought a building in beautiful downtown Millbrook (south of Peterborough), and have begun to renovate. The plan is to begin small, but to eventually expand to a full restaurant/brewpub. Equipment has been ordered from out west, and the plan is to open this summer.

None of this has been confirmed by anyone; it's just stuff I've heard around the rink(s).
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

For some reason, I've got the Monty Python song "Here Comes Another One" stuck in my head this week.
saintjohnswort.ca

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

woohoo! thanks for the tip Jester.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

saints_gambit wrote:For some reason, I've got the Monty Python song "Here Comes Another One" stuck in my head this week.
Next year, I hope the song stuck in your head isn't "Another One Bites the Dust."

Jason

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

As a long time homebrewer, this is great news. I live in the township of Cavan and am in Millbrook quite often. One thing is for sure, water quantity will not be a problem. Water is everywhere, but with lots of iron.

Thanks Jester

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Wonderful. My mum lives out around there. I hope it turns out good.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JasonTremblay wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:For some reason, I've got the Monty Python song "Here Comes Another One" stuck in my head this week.
Next year, I hope the song stuck in your head isn't "Another One Bites the Dust."

Jason
i just wonder how many of these people have business plans, projections, proper financing, etc.

i wish everyone the best of luck, but you need more than luck to succeed. especially if you're opening a brewpub in a smaller city/town.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

atomeyes wrote:i just wonder how many of these people have business plans, projections, proper financing, etc.

i wish everyone the best of luck, but you need more than luck to succeed. especially if you're opening a brewpub in a smaller city/town.
Yup. Rising tide lifts all boats... but a lot of those boats aren't particularly sea-worthy. Seem to be quite a few people banking on th idea that the craft beer craze will last forever.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Millbrook isn't far from Peterborough. I'll do my part to keep those taps from getting dry.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:Seem to be quite a few people banking on th idea that the craft beer craze will last forever.
I know, I think craft beer is nearly dead already. Premium wines are already starting to tank in sales, and people are going back to drinking washer fluid. ;)

But I know what you mean, the new and hopeful brewers caught in the upward frenzy won't all survive here. Just like anyplace with a growing craft beer culture. It will sort itself out.
In Beerum Veritas

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Noticed workers working on the outside of a building next to the Post Office in Millbrook. This may be the future home of this Brew Pub. I'll check it out soon.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Any updates on this?