Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo Beer-Hunting right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Buffalo Beer-Hunting right now?

Post by Belgian »

So what can you guys tell me is good to buy in The Buff right now?

Is Bells or Founders IPA available? Is the Barrel-aged Blackout Stout showing in stores anywhere?

Thanks for any & all tips. I hope we can keep this thread current if there are some 'waves' of particulary good releases. Thanks!
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bell's doesn't distribute to WNY.

Barrel Aged Blackout Stout is brewery only.

You might find Founders Imperial Stout, which is excellent. It was released Jan 1 but hand't yet made it to the area when I was there last weekend. If you get lucky you might also be able to find Bolt Cutter.

Ale Smith recently arrived in Buffalo and Speedway Stout, Grand Cru and Horny Devil are all very good.

You might find Ballast Point if you are lucky.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

I was in at Consumers Beverages last year (Sept), and the one in Niagara Falls had founders, 10.50$/6-pack, they had I think 6 different ones, and one 4-pack of there breakfast stout...

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

I'm heading out to Buffalo on the January 26th/27th weekend, and the first time I have permission from the fiancee make it a somewhat beer focused trip.

Here are my destinations so far, any additions?
Premier Gourmet
Consumers Beverages (aiming for the ones with higher tap counts, good idea?)

Northern Tradition Homebrew Supplies

I don't have any specific beers on my list yet. What are the odds of some Hopslam being there?

Last US beer run I did was at the Beers of the World store in Henrietta, NY (near Rochester). That store was great, 36,000 sq.ft of beer....

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote: What are the odds of some Hopslam being there?
Somewhere around 0%.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I had a friend do a run recently for me. We picked up some belgian lambics and gueuzes.

I wish I could have been there to give more feedback, but I did note they had growlers and Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter on tap. :)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Premier has the Founders IPA's (Centennial and Red's Rye), but no bolt cutter at last check. The Consumers on Transit Rd. didn;t have bolt cutter last time I was down, but were getting it in with a strict limit of 1 per bottle. They did have DFH 120 and Worldwide Stout.

Pizza Plant on Transit may have Ballast Point Sculpin on tap. They had Stone Vertical Epic 12 and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout last time I was there.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lots of Ballast Point at Premier Gourmet, and the Sculpin IPA had just arrived fresh. Four BP were also on tap at Coles: Sculpin, Big Eye IPA, Victory At Sea, and Yellow Tail.

Also picked out a few different Alesmith and Founders, and the new Ommegang XV Anniversary. PG has a 10% off beer promotion. I only saw Alesmith IPA at Consumers on Sheridan.

At Blue Monk - Founders Porter was extremely good. The house burger stepped it up a notch over the usual.
In Beerum Veritas

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

ercousin wrote:Here are my destinations so far, any additions?
Premier Gourmet
Consumers Beverages (aiming for the ones with higher tap counts, good idea?)

Northern Tradition Homebrew Supplies

I don't have any specific beers on my list yet. What are the odds of some Hopslam being there?
I'd be a failure if I didn't suggest you stop by Community Beer Works (15 Lafayette in Buffalo) on Saturday. We'll have 5 beers available for growler fills (IPA, APA, Belgian Amber, Brown Ale, Dark Saison). If you stop in you'll also be right near Coles, Blue Monk & Village Beer Merchant - three must stops.

Bells doesn't distribute to NYS, so no Hopslam here.

-rudy

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

CBW is on my list of places to go. I always end up in Buffalo on Sundays.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

rudolf wrote:I'd be a failure if I didn't suggest you stop by Community Beer Works (15 Lafayette in Buffalo) on Saturday. We'll have 5 beers available for growler fills (IPA, APA, Belgian Amber, Brown Ale, Dark Saison). If you stop in you'll also be right near Coles, Blue Monk & Village Beer Merchant - three must stops.
Lafayette is my turn-off anyway, since driving up Niagara street from Peace Bridge is the easiest way to get to Elmwood Village - so I went right by CBW yesterday, and I thought wow it looks great, and well-located. Awesome.

I was on a bit of a mission to get new stuff from Alesmith, Founders, Ballast etc etc (as well as hit Monk and Coles) so you guys are definitely on the list, epecially on a longer stay when I can really bring back some volume. I really like that part of Buffalo.
In Beerum Veritas

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Blue Monk have been tweeting that they're on a trip to "bring you better beer" and then followed that up with "@HillFarmstead looking forward to tasting your beers today". One can only hope..
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Yeah I asked yesterday and apparently Mike Schatzel is off traveling for (among other things) the purpose of hooking up Monk customers with some serious brews. I like his career choice!

Hill Farmstead has like a bazillion beers up in the top few RB percentiles. Worth checking out.
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

There was a Facebook post the other day about Blue Monk having a Founders Tap Takeover in April (23 I think) it's on a Tuesday, but they said KBS would be there.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Heading to Buffalo this Saturday. Anything worth seeking out down there right now?