Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favourite Scotch Ale right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Favourite Scotch Ale right now?

Post by El Pinguino »

Just realized I've got a nice variety of Scotch Ales I've picked up over the last month or two at the LCBO, but haven't had any of them yet....anyone have any favourites they've picked up recently?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

My fav is still Jacobite. And it really gets nice with age. Have a few bottles from last year still, but wish I had more.

My first intro to scotch ales was Mill St. - not sure if the recpie's the same though - that was, like 6 or 7 years ago since I've had that.

Locally, Amsterdam's is pretty good too.

Edit: One last note about Jacobite - when we get it, it's amazingly cheap compared to the U.S. - we pay under 3 bucks for it here while they pay 5-6.
Last edited by JeffPorter on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Dirty Bastard

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I didn't care for Dirty Bastard when I tried it.

My favourite is Oskar Blues Old Chub.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Jacobite doesnt really drink like a scotch ale to me. Its a traditional recipe from Scotland but it doesnt drink like the Scotch Ale style decribed here:

"Scotch Ale was the name given to a strong pale ale from Edinburgh in the 19th century. This was typical of the strong pale ales brewed in Britain at that time - mainly pale barley malt and moderate hopping, and were not that stylistically different to English Strong Ales or Barley Wines. The name however became regionalised so that a strong pale ale from Scotland became known as a Scotch Ale or Wee Heavy. Beers using the designation Scotch Ale are popular in the USA where most examples are brewed locally. Examples of beers brewed in the USA under the name Wee Heavy tend to be 7% abv and higher, while Scottish brewed examples, such as Belhavens Wee Heavy, are typically between 5.5% and 6.5% abv."

My fav Scotch Ales are:

Le Bilboquet MacKroken Flower (vieillie en fût de chêne)
Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale
Oskar Blues Old Chub
and
Alesmith Wee Heavy

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Neustadt. I buy it quite often, and pair it with some peaty scotch mostly.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Malcolm wrote:Neustadt. I buy it quite often, and pair it with some peaty scotch mostly.
but the neustadt is a scottish ale, different from a scotch ale.

scottish ales have more in common with english bitters then they do scotch ales.

scotch ales have higher abv's and are more malt forward and heavy where as scottish ale are a low abv, fruity, session beers

i should try that neustadt again as i do enjoy sessioning bitters

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ah yes, thanks for the correction - missed that differential. Must be Friday.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

matt7215 wrote:
Mill Gap Bitter from Neustadt is one of the better bitters I've had. Not easy to get cans of it though.

I would agree about the Renaissance Stonecutter and Bilboquet MacKroken Flower. Founders Dirty Bastard was also a bit of a disappointment for me. After checking my beer list it's definitely one of the more under-explored styles.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cale wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Mill Gap Bitter from Neustadt is one of the better bitters I've had. Not easy to get cans of it though.

I would agree about the Renaissance Stonecutter and Bilboquet MacKroken Flower. Founders Dirty Bastard was also a bit of a disappointment for me. After checking my beer list it's definitely one of the more under-explored styles.
i had the mill gap on tap at gambrinus and loved it! if neustadt got that one into the LCBO instead of the lager id be really happy

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

It's been a while since I've been able to get my hands on it but Dark Horse Scotty Karate might be my favorite for the style.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

boney wrote:It's been a while since I've been able to get my hands on it but Dark Horse Scotty Karate might be my favorite for the style.
+1

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I kind of miss Belhaven Wee Heavy. Alesmith does kick royal Scottish ass though.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The Belhaven, Jacobite and Renaissance I've had in the past and enjoyed them all...some new ones on here to look for in the future, thanks guys. Alesmith...haven't had anything bad from them! Which reminds me I have a Speedway Stout to enjoy soon...

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

I haven't had a scotch ale in some time, but my favourites, in no particular order, have been:

Bedondaine et Bedons Ronds Reyne Descosse
Belhaven Wee Heavy
Town Hall Wee Heavy
A l'Abri de la Tempete Corne du Brume
McEwans Scotch Ale
Traquair Jacobite Ale

When looking for a scotch ale fix, you can't go wrong with any of these.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.