Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best gluten free beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Best gluten free beer?

Post by spinrsx »

Anyone here tried a few gluten free beers? If so, what are the best of the bunch?

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

The Glutenberg stuff out of Montreal is solid. It's not exceptional relative to glutenful beer, but it's not bad. They have bottles of it at Volo, or at least they did a few months ago.
Last edited by andrewrg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Saw someone drinking it at C'est What the other night, too.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

+1 for glutenberg...mind you if I had to go gluten free, I'd probably be a cider man...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Hopefully Snowman will have a more permanent presence in our city soon
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Also Keep6 has Glutenberg available by consignment

http://keep6imports.com/consignment
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Snowman will be available at bars soon(ish), they will be contract brewing at Black Oak on their own dedicated (gluten-free) system. It will not be packaged (for now), but will be served on draught around Toronto. Glutenberg is, as noted, a not bad substitute for gluten-y brews. But you know it's not quite right. Snowman has won awards in categories with gluten beers (not the specialty category where most GF goes). Their quad is better than some of the more mediocre gluten ones on the wider market.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

how does the Nickel Brook Gluten free compare?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

my wife can't have gluten and we have tried a bunch of gluten free beers. The nickel brook was pretty bad... same with with the 'La messagere'. Bard's is okay but her favorites are the new grist and the Glutenberg. She also likes the red bridge gf beer but it's only available in the states. The St Peters was okay, but a little pricey.
kafercrazy wrote:how does the Nickel Brook Gluten free compare?

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

^^ so if I'm bringing a GF beer for a friend, you recommend Bard's over the others then?

(based on LCBO availability)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

bard's has a distinctive "malt-like" flavour to it.. the new grist tastes more like an average lager. The lcbo sells both of these beers as singles, I'd suggest buying some of each. The nickelbrook is along the lines of a lager, but with a lot of apple juice/cider like qualities.. it also has a higher ABV from what I recall

my local lcbo sells out of new grist all the time, so I assume it is their most popular Gf beer

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

hopefully my local will let me mix a 6-pack...

thanks!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

I was really impressed with St. Peter's G-Free. Drinks like a "normal" British bitter - except it uses Amarillo hops so you get gentle citrus zest and nice florals. Here's exactly what I (and 13 other people) thought: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29 ... a=biegaman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think I've seen Glutenberg other places too, Bellwoods for sure, maybe Bar Hop? Only Cafe? Bier Markt? (Hey all you bars, why not post G-free menus.)

I feel for the gluten-challenged, because eliminating anything from beer (such as gluten or alcohol) really knocks the stuffing out of it, doesn't it though? I'd probably go with wine or cider, depending on the sitution - often a bar's wine choices will be inadequate, or else cider may not be available.

Cider could get monotonous very quickly... unless specialty bars started importing the funky French Brut Cidre from Normandy like Etienne Dupont. That would take a leap of palate for Strongbow fans, but convert some of them.... anyway, condolences & good luck in your search.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

If you can, try Schnitzerbrau. It is not at the LCBO but it is at select TBS locations ( or will be soon ) or you can get it from http://thehealthywineagent.com Completely gluten free and has a nice Weiss-y flavour even if the malt profile is non existent.