Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Standard Glass for IPAs (by DFH)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

To me, it looks like Riedel's stemless champagne glass --

IIRC, the DFH TV series once showed their QA process, including a tasting panel -- the glasses they used for sensory analysis could've come from a dollar store.

I remember a while back a snooty wine magazine ran the results of a study that tried to nail down the effects, if any, of different kinds of stemware on the flavour of different wines. "Clean" and "round" were the most important criteria. Everything else, from bowl size to the thickness of the glass was less important.

Jason

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The wine glasses I've had & broken over ten years were the Sears 8 red + 8 white set for 30 dollars. Cheap, easily broken but lightweight and work extremely well with the decent bowl size.

I've not seen them for a long time and wish I could get another set. I dislike that there are no good cheap lightweight glasses here - many are too heavy or stupidly oversized for Yuppie kitchens.
In Beerum Veritas

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Belgian, check out Winners or Homesense. They often have lower range Riedel glassware at cheap prices.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

If you want nearly disposable priced glass, Ikea can be good too. I'm not sure if they still do, but they used to have pint glasses ("sleeves" though some people call shakers that; I'm talking the English ones with the bulge about 1.5" from the rim). I think they were like $8/6 glasses. Crazy cheap.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I'm a little torn on very specific glassware. I get that it'd be nice for every beer to have its own glass, that's one of the perks of going to a more European-themed beer bar; they've got the "correct" (or at least correctly branded) glass for the beer you're drinking. If I went to a pub and got a 90 min. in this glass, I'd be impressed.

But at home, I just don't have the cupboard space! The Dollarstore has some great tulip and nonic (sleaves, pint with a bump, whatever) glasses for something near $1 (maybe $1.25, $1.50) each. I tend to just use a snifter for everything +6% and not Belgian-style really (Bellwoods sells super nice ones). I have one or two more narrow bottom (pils/wisse) glasses, but really, are you missing that much if you just have tulip, nonic, and snifters? I really kinda doubt it.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I think it looks like the opposite of cool. I would never buy that glass.

Falls in line with DFH's mantra though - gimmicky.
What's gimmicky about their core line-up? 60 Minute is a by-the-numbers AIPA, and 90 Minute is a decent DIPA (though a little on the malty side for many palates). Burton Baton is just an Old Ale, aged on oak, blended with DIPA. Indian Brown is like a sweet and hoppy brown ale. Palo Santo is an oak-aged Imperial brown ale. Raison is a Belgian brown brewed with raisins. Shelter is a by-the-numbers APA. Sixty-One is a basic AIPA with a little bit of grape must added to the mash.

None of these sound gimmicky or crazy in any way. The only core beer DFH makes that can be considered "gimmicky," IMO, is Midas Touch. None of their seasonal products are gimmicky.

The only place they go "gimmicky" is their one-offs and rarities, and really, that's exactly where a brewer SHOULD go high-concept and gimmicky with their craft. I mean, why the hell should brewer make a "special" beer that is similar to many other brewers "normal" beers? One-offs should be special. They should be differentiated.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

ercousin wrote:How could thinner walls maintain beer temperature (assuming colder than room temperature)?

The only thing I can think of is if they think the starting temperature of the glass will warm up the beer, and by having thinner walls (less glass) there will be less kinetic energy to transfer into the beer? This could just as easily be mitigated by rinsing the glass in cold water first lol....

If anything the thicker walls would insulate the beer from the warmth of your hands...
You are correct, and their claim that 'Thinner walls and rounded shape maintain proper beer temperature longer' is baloney.

A thinner walled glass might increase the temperature of the beer by, say, 2°F once thermal equilibrium is reached. All else being equal, a thicker walled glass might increase it by 4°F or more. So it depends on the proper serving temperature of the beer, the temperature of the glass and the temperature the beer was stored at. But this only relates to achieving the proper initial serving temperature. When you are talking about 'maintaining' proper beer temperature, of course a thicker walled glass will increase the beer temperature at a lower rate than a thinner walled glass. As far as the rounded shape bit, the more contoured the glass is to the shape of the hand, the greater the surface area of the hand in contact with the glass, ergo the greater the rate of increase in beer temperature.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ This is why dalecannon keeps heavy mugs in the freezer for serving beer. :wink:

Re: DFH - classic case of a brewer that Beer Geeks like to get all sniffy about and pick at alot, because they got bigger or maybe changed one or two things they used to do (they started filtering the IPA, for example.) Are they really that bad?
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote:^ This is why dalecannon keeps heavy mugs in the freezer for serving beer. :wink:
If my coors is even a hair above rocky mountain cold, there's going to be hell to pay.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

video about this