Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Standard Glass for IPAs (by DFH)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ercousin

New Standard Glass for IPAs (by DFH)

Post by ercousin »

Seems DFH just released a new glass that they want to become the new standard for IPAs, collaborated with Sierra Nevada.

http://www.dogfish.com/store/glassware/ ... -glass.htm

I think it's kinda cool looking, what do you guys think?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I think it looks like the opposite of cool. I would never buy that glass.

Falls in line with DFH's mantra though - gimmicky.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

It looks like it took a a lot of the design points from the Sam Adams perfect pint glass. I mean other than the fact that the SA glass has the outward turned lip it looks like a very similar design.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

How could thinner walls maintain beer temperature (assuming colder than room temperature)?

The only thing I can think of is if they think the starting temperature of the glass will warm up the beer, and by having thinner walls (less glass) there will be less kinetic energy to transfer into the beer? This could just as easily be mitigated by rinsing the glass in cold water first lol....

If anything the thicker walls would insulate the beer from the warmth of your hands...

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

It looks impractical to me. If you want a glass to become a 'standard' it has to be more than a gimmick and 'look cool'. Thin glass, unstable looking base - seems a recipe for breakage.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Still my standard serving style, not going to change anytime soon.[/img]

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I would really need to try it, probably enjoyable glass, but it looks a bit top heavy with a tippy base.
At least they are trying an innovation.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ercousin wrote:How could thinner walls maintain beer temperature (assuming colder than room temperature)?
Not knowing the physics, I would surmise less overall mass of warm glass to transfer its heat to the freshly poured cold beer initially than if you used a thick-walled glass.

Whether thinner walls could actually slow heat exchange I don't know (transferred how, the heat from the room air through the glass, or from the drinker's hand, or from the place the glass is resting?) Does a greater mass of glass suck away the coldness faster in some voodoo kind of way?

I just know finer glassware is usually not chunky, for aromas and for pleasure of drinking.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I'd be far more likely to buy their other two glasses, both of which look great and are ostensibly designed for IPAs and DIPAs. Not sure why they felt the need to make a new one.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cratez wrote:I'd be far more likely to buy their other two glasses, both of which look great and are ostensibly designed for IPAs and DIPAs. Not sure why they felt the need to make a new one.
$$$$

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Belgian wrote:
ercousin wrote:How could thinner walls maintain beer temperature (assuming colder than room temperature)?
Not knowing the physics, I would surmise less overall mass of warm glass to transfer its heat to the freshly poured cold beer initially than if you used a thick-walled glass.

Whether thinner walls could actually slow heat exchange I don't know (transferred how, the heat from the room air through the glass, or from the drinker's hand, or from the place the glass is resting?) Does a greater mass of glass suck away the coldness faster in some voodoo kind of way?

I just know finer glassware is usually not chunky, for aromas and for pleasure of drinking.
It seems backwards to me. Glass is a very poor conductor of heat so it would seem to me that when you are holding a glass in your hand the thinner it is the faster the heat from your hand transfers to the beer in the glass. The same way as if you use thinner insulation in your house the heat from inside your house transfers to the outside faster.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Why is is that when breweries attempt to design purpose specific glassware things always seem to go terribly, terribly wrong? The exception being the New Belgium glass. http://worldofbeer.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... hat-gives/

*I would have just inserted the pic, but it appeared massive when I tested it.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

That glass is the opposit of sexy. Plus it would be a complete pain in the ass to wash. However, it's unique and I'm a sucker for glassware, so "want", damn it.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Looks like it might come in handy in a bar fight too, with its molded hand-grip and all....

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

it kinda looks like they took their inspiration from this guy: