Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bring beer Across the US Boarder

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Belgian wrote:The best part is the goggle-eyed response of 'you spent that much on XX bottles of beer?'
Always the worst part of the experience. This last time I just hid the two $45 bottles of De Dolle Reserva because I just didn't feel like it was worth the hassle!

Buying kegs is a much nicer experience - usually they are pretty impressed :)

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Just came across the border into Alberta after 3 week vacation in the US. The benefit of coming into AB is that the person limit is 45.45L of alcohol, and you don't pay PST (SK limit is 17.6L, and PST is 5%).

We were over our duty free exemption by 51L (6 cases) on beer, and got sent inside to settle up. I had a huge stack of receipts with me for all the beer, but I conveniently showed them the one receipt from Costco for a $21 case of Fat Tire as an example. Border guy didn't bother looking at the rest of my receipts, and didn't ask anymore questions. So I only paid GST on $126, plus markup, which came to a grand total of $42, or approx 30 cents per 12oz of beer.

Considering I had spent over $600 US on beer and bourbon (55L of beer, 60oz bourbon), the additional duty and tax was peanuts.
Last edited by markaberrant on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

My girlfriend and I crossed at the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia yesterday with a little over two cases of beer (around a day in the US) without any trouble at all. No fees, no questions. She just asked what we bought, we declared the "little over two cases" and went on.

Only hitch was after declaring what we bought she glanced at the back seat to see the 6 gallon brew bucket I had picked up and forgot to mention. Pretty awesome!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I've come to the conclusion that they're pretty lazy when you cross back into Sarnia. I've been across for 1 hour and have come back with a case and only got a raised eyebrow.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

timeo

Post by timeo »

Yeah, Sarnia's pretty laissez-faire about the alcohol. Last time I came back from Chicago and started rattling off on how many 12 oz's and how many bombers I had, they just gave up half-way through my spiel and waved me through.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Came back across the rainbow today after 24 hours with 3 people x 1 case each. We declared and got pulled into secondary inspection to make sure we weren't lying but didn't have to go in to pay duty.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

When it comes to beer hauls I've seen some people with some pretty impressive amounts here. The information about bringing back kegs was interesting too.

Now, has anyone ever looked at bringing back more than 45L of beer? (The maximum allowed in Ontario).

Say you drive a minivan across the border in Ontario and over the course of 1 week you drive about 5000km total. Michigan, Illinois, Missourri, Minneapolis...

You pick up a couple of 30L kegs along the way and ohhh, 20 cases of beer.

Now, Manitoba is the only province that seemingly allows for unlimited beer to be brought back from the US, as long as you pay duty/taxes.

So you cross the border there, and then drive around Lake Superior, across Ontario and back home.

Now, let's say all of this beer, and the transportation/accommodation costs associated with getting it, are shared equally amongst your Bartowel buddies...kind of like a co-op.

At what point is such an endeavour worthwhile to all?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's a long-ass drive around Superior.

And when you go to cross at Manitoba they will still ask 'where do you call home?' and could folow with 'what are you planning to do in Manitoba?' etc. I guess what you say is up to you, that your declaration appears credible and not look sketchy due to all the alcohol.

Technically you are circumventing the Ontario international border regulations & bringing a high volume of alcohol across the Manitoba-Ontario border, possibly illegally.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Indeed, I do like long road trips though.

It seems though the limit of alcohol you can technically bring from other provinces into Ontario is 26.4L.

I can't figure out if that is a strict limit, or a ceiling at which you'd have to pay some extra provincial costs.

Anyways...was a curiousity I had!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

"That doesn't work. You overload your inventory and blow your margins on inventory."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1blsZxXDCU

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

rejtable wrote:
"That doesn't work. You overload your inventory and blow your margins on inventory."

^ That's great. Loved it.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
rejtable wrote:

^ That's great. Loved it.
Haha, beauty...

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Couldn`t you just make multiple trips back and forth across the border? As long as you had a place to safely keep the goods on either side while you are doing it.

Or is the limit 45L per day?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

rejtable wrote:

Adding machine... :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John