Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bring beer Across the US Boarder

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

groulxsome

Bring beer Across the US Boarder

Post by groulxsome »

Ok, I'm trying to work a trip down to Michigan sometime soon to get some beer. I have some questions...!

From how I read the law, you have to stay over 48 hours to bring back "24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer or ale, including beer coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol (a maximum of 8.5 litres or 287.4 US ounces)," otherwise you get nothing. I've always stayed more than 48 hours, but I was thinking this time about just making an overnight (one day) trip.

Can you just go for a day (or overnight) and pay duties? Are the duties expensive? I've seen people say they've been "waved through" with beer, does this happen often? Anyone with experience travelling to Michigan care to give me some insight (or point me to a thread where insight has been shared!)? Can you go for the day, show the folks your receipts, and pay whatever duites?

Thanks for the advice!

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

I've been over for a few hours a few times and claimed "a case" or 30 pack and they let me through without having to pay duty. I believe the duty works out to around $10 on a 24 or to that factor. I've never had to pay duty either or.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think they relaxed the reg's to at least allow a 24-pack on a day trip. I tell them I got some groceries plus 1 case of beer, and the total value. Threy let it go.
In Beerum Veritas

heebes

Post by heebes »

you can go over alone and still bring back like 4 cases of beer even if you dont stay a night, youll just have to pay $50 in taxes on it

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

You can bring back up to 50L of beer and pay duty on it. If you are over for 48 hours, you have a one case + 50L maximum, proving again that you pay duty on the 50L that is above your 48 hr. exemption.

Like others have said, paying duty is hit and miss. You can be over for an hour, have a case and be waived through sometimes. Other time you can be over for 24 hours and have to pay duty on a case. Crapshoot...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Even though this is specific to kegs, the numbers would be all the same for bottles. All about volume of beer brought back.

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=2688

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

zombi69 wrote:I've been over for a few hours a few times and claimed "a case" or 30 pack and they let me through without having to pay duty. I believe the duty works out to around $10 on a 24 or to that factor. I've never had to pay duty either or.
Thanks everyone for the advice! $10-$15 extra per 24 as duty (if they even ask for it) seems pretty decent for a 24 hour stay. It's a lot cheeper than staying an extra night to just get beyond the 48 hour mark for duty free!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

groulxsome wrote:
zombi69 wrote:I've been over for a few hours a few times and claimed "a case" or 30 pack and they let me through without having to pay duty. I believe the duty works out to around $10 on a 24 or to that factor. I've never had to pay duty either or.
Thanks everyone for the advice! $10-$15 extra per 24 as duty (if they even ask for it) seems pretty decent for a 24 hour stay. It's a lot cheeper than staying an extra night to just get beyond the 48 hour mark for duty free!
That information is absolutely incorrect!

If you are buying low-cost macro beer (like a case of Coors Light) the duty will be about $11-12 for a case of 24.

If you are buying higher cost craft beer, it is a different story as duty is calculated based on both cost and volume. My from experience, duty tends to be about 30% on craft beer (that is 30% of the total cost of the beer). That said, they often screw up the calculation and/or I have seen some outliers that have caused the total to be as low as 20-25%. Count on paying 30% duty.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
That information is absolutely incorrect!

If you are buying low-cost macro beer (like a case of Coors Light) the duty will be about $11-12 for a case of 24.

If you are buying higher cost craft beer, it is a different story as duty is calculated based on both cost and volume. My from experience, duty tends to be about 30% on craft beer (that is 30% of the total cost of the beer). That said, they often screw up the calculation and/or I have seen some outliers that have caused the total to be as low as 20-25%. Count on paying 30% duty.
TheSevenDuffs is absolutely correct!

I paid duty 8 or so times last year and have had the exact same experience.

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

I have done 2 day trips and basically I paid the equivalent of HST 13% on the total sum of my purchase.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I just brought back a 20L keg and about 10 bottles ~ 3 cases, takes were just over $40. Part of that is HST based on the value.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JerCraigs wrote:I just brought back a 20L keg and about 10 bottles ~ 3 cases, takes were just over $40. Part of that is HST based on the value.
That is true. Part of what we pay in duty is 13% HST. On top of that they charge the various liquor taxes.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

So I should just have the receipts at the ready and they'll charge whatever (30%ish) duty and I'll be on my way? There is no real limit? There is no chance of them, like, impounding the beer or needing an inspection etc., right?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

groulxsome wrote:So I should just have the receipts at the ready and they'll charge whatever (30%ish) duty and I'll be on my way? There is no real limit? There is no chance of them, like, impounding the beer or needing an inspection etc., right?
As I stated above, the limit is 50L of beer. As long as you are under 50L and show them your receipts you will be good to go. You'll have to add up your volume yourself to make your declaration.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
groulxsome wrote:So I should just have the receipts at the ready and they'll charge whatever (30%ish) duty and I'll be on my way? There is no real limit? There is no chance of them, like, impounding the beer or needing an inspection etc., right?
As I stated above, the limit is 50L of beer. As long as you are under 50L and show them your receipts you will be good to go. You'll have to add up your volume yourself to make your declaration.
Perfect. Thank you all for the help!