Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

st ambroise IPA new recipe

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

st ambroise IPA new recipe

Post by spinrsx »

just saw that this beer has been modified to taste 'more like an american IPA'.. has anyone tried the new version?

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Just had a fresh one a few days ago. I am biased but it is pretty decent! Will let you know when & where & how it is sold in ON.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Is it out in Quebec? I'll run out at lunch and grab some.

lplex

Post by lplex »

From what I recall, I wasn't too impressed with the original recipe, it was bland, very subtle hop character. I'll probably grab a bottle or two this week.
Is it out in Quebec? I'll run out at lunch and grab some.
BroueHaHa have it, don't know about other places. Are those usually distributed in grocery stores?

In the same ballpark, I was impressed with the Boréale IPA. Nice citrus aroma, little bit of sweetness for balance, very refreshing and accessible. And at 9.99$/6-pack, you can't go wrong

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

The original was a great example of an english IPA.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

lplex wrote: In the same ballpark, I was impressed with the Boréale IPA. Nice citrus aroma, little bit of sweetness for balance, very refreshing and accessible. And at 9.99$/6-pack, you can't go wrong
Agree 110%. So surprised that that beer came out of Boreale. For the price, I usually have a 6 pack kicking around on a regular basis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I always knew St Amby could do it.

Also this is a cool anti-trend - accessibly-priced brewers adding in a few more hops for a full American-style IPA flavor. Let's buck the trend of 16-dollar six-packs every time a new beer shows up.
In Beerum Veritas

notdan

Post by notdan »

I drink this beer on tap at least once a week at Grumpy's in Montreal. I must say this past week's pint was a bit different. The malt bill has always been pale, which to me says American IPA, but the hops were more British tasting; plenty bitter, but more herbal. The most recent keg seemed to have more aroma hops, with more citrus in particular. At first I thought perhaps it was just a super-fresh keg, but a recipe tweak would make sense. Definitely an improvement.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The Boreale IPA is a good deal, it was my go to beer in Quebec this summer when I couldn't get my hands on more crafty brews. I'll look forward to trying the new Ambroise IPA, I have fallen into habit of only drinking their Oatmeal Stout and limited edition brews recently.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

markaberrant wrote:The original was a great example of an english IPA.

I agree!

I loved this and Curmudgeon for my English IPA fix...St. Amby's was nice, herbal and refreshing...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John