Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

that time when Canada's strong beers went to war

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mr.X

that time when Canada's strong beers went to war

Post by Mr.X »

From Blog TO

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/02/that ... nt_to_war/

These ads are amazing. I remember watching them and thinking how 'cool' ice beer was - and of course drinking too much of that crap at high school parties.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I remember throwing a ball around the parking lot at Edenfest in '95 or '96, when this clearly underaged, clearly hammered couple stumbled up to us, carrying a styrofoam cooler. They stopped, professed their undying love for Canadian beer, and told us that we could have whatever was left in the cooler because they were going in to catch the Goo Goo Dolls or some such. They dropped the cooler and wandered off in the wrong direction. We figured there'd be a couple or three Canadians left in the cooler. My buddy opened it and started roaring. Inside were 16 Molson XXX!
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I was about 16 when these beers came on the market. We loved it, because you could split a 12-pack with 3 or 4 guys and get totally smashed if you chugged them fast enough. I also recall throwing them in a snow bank to get them as cold as possible, so you wouldn't have to actually taste that garbage.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

markaberrant wrote:I was about 16 when these beers came on the market. We loved it, because you could split a 12-pack with 3 or 4 guys and get totally smashed if you chugged them fast enough. I also recall throwing them in a snow bank to get them as cold as possible, so you wouldn't have to actually taste that garbage.
takes me back to high school.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:
markaberrant wrote:I was about 16 when these beers came on the market. We loved it, because you could split a 12-pack with 3 or 4 guys and get totally smashed if you chugged them fast enough. I also recall throwing them in a snow bank to get them as cold as possible, so you wouldn't have to actually taste that garbage.
takes me back to high school.
This. Only other thing that gets me as nostalgic? That Blue 12 packs that converted into a cooler.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Other high school memory: grade niners wearing Red Dog tshirts.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:Other high school memory: grade niners wearing Red Dog tshirts.
um, yeah...that was me...(grade 8, though). Except for me, I rolled up my sleeves on it a bit. Ya know, to show off my guns...at the roller skating rink.

I actually had a lot of shirts like Red Dog, or LGD in high school and surprised teachers let us wear them.

At my school now, I have to tell kids to change inappropriate shirts all the time.

Except they're usually about mackin' hoes, and how snitches eventually end up with stitches...They don't have Formosa Springs shirts on.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

For beer, we thought it was cool to drink Toby's in the pub that never carded us. If we were in a hurry, we switched to vodka.

I do remember the time we were in a bar and they had a promo for the newly introduced Fosters in these big cans. I think it was something like $10 for a bucket of three or four king cans and some wings or something. Got talked into trying this shite beer, but had a brilliant idea when they arrived and the waiter had not opened them...

...that's the last and only time we tried to shotgun king cans in a public place. I think it was the last and only time we were allowed in that bar too. 8)

I guess it's my age. By the time the the ice/dry fads came along I had tasted good beer and wasn't interested.

On a related note, it's funny to see a bud light variation packing 6% now. Must be tasty. :o

oh, and anybody here ever do a beer mile? Look it up boys. My only effort resulted in almost 17 minutes, but that was because I had to start over for said shotgunning. I didn't realize it wasn't allowed and didn't get called out for it until the last quarter when I was told to start over. I also didn't know you were supposed to (or should) start sober.

Yes, I have issues...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I also remember being a year older (17), and buying my own beer to take to parties. I'd pick myself up a 12-pack and sell 3 or 4 to the kids a year younger at the party for $5 a piece, so I basically drank for free... pretty good racket.

Even as a kid, I hated that Red Dog beer.

I used to wear a Spuds McKenzie shirt to school when I was 10 years old. I completed my outfit with neon pink Chuck Taylor high-tops. 1987 ruled!

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

This happened during my first couple years of university. It occurs to me that, at the time, we all suffered choking down that swill in order to get a buzz on quicker.

There are so many tasty beers available now that are 7-8% and higher, it would be a very dangerous time for me to be just turning 19 :D

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

markaberrant wrote:Even as a kid, I hated that Red Dog beer.
Red Dog ihas the distinction of beingthe first beer I ever drainpoured. For a 15 year old desperate to get drunk on a Saturday night that's saying something.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Strong?

That's a strange title... I was thinking about stuff like Trafalgar's Critical Mass and Alley Cat's Glenda Sherbrooke?