Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Just received a Cantillon special order

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KW1

Just received a Cantillon special order

Post by KW1 »

I'm pretty happy to have obtained these. Did a special order. Took about 4 weeks.

Cantillon Cuvee St. Gilloise 750 ml - 12
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus 750 ml - 12
Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella 750 ml - 12

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

who was this order through?

prices?

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Went through the provincial liquor board.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

KW1 wrote:Went through the provincial liquor board.
you did a personal private order of 3 cases through the LCBO?

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I did a personal private orer, but not through the LCBO as I live in another province now. But LCBO does it as well.

http://www.lcbo.com/programs_services/p ... ring.shtml

It appears the ordering requirements are fairly equal. Min one case order per product.

I ordered one case of each.

Oh, and here are the prices.

Gambrinus ~ $21.30 each
Gilloise ~ $22.26 each
Bruocsella ~ 22.00 each

Plus GST and container deposit.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Pretty sure you can only order products through the LCBO that they actually carry/have a distributor in Ontario, not just anything.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I don't think so.

From the link
Ontarians can leverage the LCBO global logistics network to obtain products from anywhere in the world pending supplier willingness to ship. International products typically arrive within eight weeks and Canadian products within 15 days.
Also, there are some canadian distributors/suppliers with very impressive international reach. This means many international products are easier to get than some people realize. After all, it was a canadian supplier who scored the westvleteren 12 for canada. :D
Last edited by KW1 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

That quote from the LCBO is BS. Their "we can get you anything you want" claim is meaningless marketing piffle if you are just trying to get a single case.

Wasn't someone trying to bring in something from Timothy Taylor? I think the order required 70 cases before it would go through. Was that through the LCBO? It's in the private ordering sub-forum somewhere.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Min order depends. Always has and always will. From the link.
The LCBO has a minimum order requirement of one case. There will, however, be instances where a supplier may require a higher minimum case order. Please be aware the LCBO has no control over a supplier’s minimum order requirements.
I got the min one case order in my province for Cantillon, ON would be able to do it too.
Last edited by KW1 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I think it was Timothy Taylor that insisted on the 70 case minimum order?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Has anyone here ever gotten something that was not general list through the LCBO via this program? I have tried in the past with no luck.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Yeah the LCBO pretty much denies everything I ask them for due to:

a) no agent in Ontario

b) brewery wants nothing to do with the LCBO

c) brewery has no interest distributing this far

d) some crazy case order minimum of a pallet or more

And then half the time the agent won't order it due to the hassle of cutting one private order, when it's easier to just sell beer to bars.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

KW1

Post by KW1 »

How do you get your orders you often list on the private order forum?

I will note at least that my order was easy with a Canadian distributor.

From what I've seen of your recent orders, there are canadian distributors.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

nickelass wrote:Yeah the LCBO pretty much denies everything I ask them for due to:

a) no agent in Ontario

b) brewery wants nothing to do with the LCBO

c) brewery has no interest distributing this far

d) some crazy case order minimum of a pallet or more

And then half the time the agent won't order it due to the hassle of cutting one private order, when it's easier to just sell beer to bars.
So, 2, maybe 3 of the 4 are nothing to do with the LCBO?

I have wineries that will flatly stop a 1 case order. It is just too much hassle for them (Canadian specific labels, for a start) & the shipper. And occasionally, one case on a pallet goes 'missing'.

Me, personally, will always try and honour a one case order, because that may well lead to more orders in the future, or the customer may well buy other products from that one producer we have in stock. But ultimately, if the supplier says NO, then it's a NO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

So, 2, maybe 3 of the 4 are nothing to do with the LCBO?
For counter-argument, ALL the barriers nick mention exist because the LCBO exists in place of normal retail. If we had Consumers Beverage-style stores here, they would:

a) need no agent

b) not alienate breweries or distributors

c) make it feasible for some breweries to distribute this far

d) have no problem ordering a pallet or more for anything they could sell in their stores.

So... a store system that was aligned to the desires of its consumers (instead of putting up huge barriers in order to follow its own agendas) would already be selling Cantillon here, by the bottle or by the case.

To put this as 'nothing to do with the LCBO' is a bit much. Nick's point may stand VS the 'reasons' our liquor system uses to blow him off.
In Beerum Veritas