Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer name deemed offensive

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KW1

Beer name deemed offensive

Post by KW1 »

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Such a cop out by Earl’s. This brand has been in production for 25 years, and yet it's only now deemed "offensive"? Give me a break! PC gone absolutely, stark raving F*****g mad!!!!!

Think I’ll start a suit against Fat Head brewing in Pittsburgh, seeing as I have an unfeasibly large fat head, and feel sad when people point and tell me so :-?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:Give me a break! PC gone absolutely, stark raving F*****g mad!!!!!
Well yeah. I think they should go to the next level & re-name the beer LesBino Bionic Rhino. To accord equal cultural relevance to lesbian albino women (and people that may be cybernetically enhanced.)

That's pushing good taste of course. But really... doesn't equality in a culture recognize, include & celebrate everyone - rather than exclude mention of 'special' groups?

It's hard to celebrate diversity when we're walking on eggshells. I guess no party yet for humanity.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

This is the kind of hollow, politically correct victory fringe leftists revel in.

It doesn't matter that the corporate banking system is robbing us blind at every turn, our governments are inching us closer and closer to "1984"-style surveillance, our economy is an artificial construct propped up by Wall and Bay Street thugs easily blown out with a few clicks of a mouse, or the fact that "free trade" agreements are gutting access to respectable work, because hot damn they got the name of a beer changed.

Most people that hide behind the shield of political correctness are simply trying to hide the fact they don't have a real opinion.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:This is the kind of hollow, politically correct victory fringe leftists revel in.
Sorry, but you're generalizing and oversimplifying. People from all sides of the spectrum are shaking their heads at this.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:This is the kind of hollow, politically correct victory fringe leftists revel in.
(EDITED IN THE NAME OF GOOD TASTE. THANK YOU DIRTBAG MCQUAIG FOR MAKING ME A FINE GENTLEMAN) I'll just say I disagree.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

JeffPorter wrote:
Sorry, but you're generalizing and oversimplifying. People from all sides of the spectrum are shaking their heads at this.
No doubt people on both sides of the spectrum are shaking their heads on this, because there are reasonable people on both sides of the spectrum.

But the fringe left clowns that get up in arms over pointless BS like this certainly don't qualify as reasonable.

Their right wing fringe equivalents would be the yahoos bothered by "happy holidays" over "merry Christmas".

sprague: cheers to you too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Their right wing fringe equivalents would be the yahoos bothered by "happy holidays" over "merry Christmas".
But "holy days" also implies a divine entity, which is still a suppressive idea to those who like to make a stink.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Their right wing fringe equivalents would be the yahoos bothered by "happy holidays" over "merry Christmas".
But "holy days" also implies a devine entity, which is still a suppressive idea to those who like to make a stink over things.
Everyone knows the real leftist fringe would wish you seasons greetings. ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:Everyone knows the real leftist fringe would wish you seasons greetings. ;)
That's like saying 'climatological salutations.' Yes, that is far less culturally bullying.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Belgian wrote:
But "holy days" also implies a divine entity, which is still a suppressive idea to those who like to make a stink.
Fair enough. I'm not up to date on the "correct" way to greet someone during the month of December.

I usually go the opposite of what I think the person would like to hear. So a person open to "merry christmas" gets a "happy holidays" from me and vice versa.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The whole left wing v.s. right wing B.S. is like a lagers v.s. ales debate. Don't take the bait, just find and enjoy some good beer.

What BarTowel is fox news now? I'm sure we aren't such peons.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I lean somewhat left, and I think it's Political Correctness gone too far. Ditto the whole Rhino controversy. People seem to go out of their ways to get offended by things. I'm just waiting for some old muskoka-area hipster to get pissed off over the Mad Tom name.

AWCY, I apologize - rough day at the bargaining table.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

An albino is an organism without melanin.

This beer referred to a rhino, not a human. I guess it was nice of Earls to drop it, given that:
many persons with albinism are genuinely offended and feel that their dignity is negatively impacted by the use of the word ‘albino’ in our marketing.

But I still don't see how a HUMAN rights tribunal deemed the name offensive.

I'm not saying that albino people haven't endured ridicule, it's just that this beer is not related!

Honestly, they should change the name to "Black Rhino". I seriously doubt any black people would be offended, or any human rights tribunal would have anything to say.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Please tell me someone has asked the Albino Rhino to review this beer
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole