Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Making a nut brown ale w/nuts: allergen alert?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Making a nut brown ale w/nuts: allergen alert?

Post by atomeyes »

I just read about Indie ale house making a nut brown ale using chestnuts, hazelnuts and walnuts.

just wondering how it affects them from an alleren point of view. would Indie now have to label all of their beer as saying "may contain nuts" because of possible contact/contamination?

if someone with a (general) nut allergy wants to speak up about their comfort level, it would be great to hear.

beerme

Post by beerme »

If they repitch the yeast in a subsequent brew then potential allergens could be passed on. (not sure of the concentration necessary to get a reaction?)

Would they have to post a warning:
Allergy alert, Cockpuncher may have come into contact with nuts?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Beer gets a number of exemptions from allergen labelling. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is lobbying by the big guys so they don't have to put an ingredient list for mass produced beers.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

beerme wrote:Would they have to post a warning:
Allergy alert, Cockpuncher may have come into contact with nuts?
HAHAHAHA!

Thanks for that!

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Cass, I don't think you need to be a conspiracy theorist to think that is *exactly* why beer is exempt from those labeling conventions.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Cass wrote:Beer gets a number of exemptions from allergen labelling. The conspiracy theorist in me says this is lobbying by the big guys so they don't have to put an ingredient list for mass produced beers.
There are ingredients listed on all GRB beers now and I think the big guys are within a year or two of having to follow suit. Hopefully we won't be forced to put on meaningless, moronic warnings about operating machinery and being pregnant at the same time as our southern neighbours do.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I thought the proposed allergen alert for gluten was silly, because really, beer like bread and pasta is assumed to contain gluten as a default. However, I have no problem with requiring an ingredient list (since they're not all just barley hops and water) and actually I quite like the idea. As I was opening my bottle of Canny Man tonight, I noticed it had an ingredient list and I appreciated that.