Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Left Field Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

El Pinguino wrote:
If all the bars out there that only have macro accounts right now started switching some taps over to 'macro-craft' it's still good for craft beer overall, even if it isn't real craft.
We are getting off topic, but this is 100% right.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

atomeyes wrote:the real question:

when will the Black Oaks and Wellingstons of Ontario be at capacity and will no longer be able to accept these contract brewers?
must be getting close.
Personally I doubt it. I saw somebody brewing at Amsterdam the other night at like 10PM, and I think Steamwhistle has something like three brewing shifts (someone correct me if I am wrong), but I don't think the smaller guys like Black Oak are quite to the 24 hour brewing schedules just yet. If they are then that is impressive!

Now if the staff brewers at the breweries are also brewing the contract brews that is a different story vs. the contract brewers coming in and doing the brewing themselves on "rented" equipment.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Pretty sure that Wellington is already at 24-hour brewing due to the contract stuff.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Cale wrote:Pretty sure that Wellington is already at 24-hour brewing due to the contract stuff.
Yep, they're 3 shifts and 24 hours a day already.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

JerCraigs wrote:Personally I doubt it. I saw somebody brewing at Amsterdam the other night at like 10PM, and I think Steamwhistle has something like three brewing shifts (someone correct me if I am wrong), but I don't think the smaller guys like Black Oak are quite to the 24 hour brewing schedules just yet. If they are then that is impressive!
I think Steam Whistle only brews 24/7 through the spring and summer -- but the season's been lengthening as the brewery sees less of a drop off after Labour Day.

Black Oak only has two brewers, so there's no question of those cats going 24/7 in the near future.

Jason

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JasonTremblay wrote: Black Oak only has two brewers, so there's no question of those cats going 24/7 in the near future.

Jason
So maybe it'll be more of a labour (re: brewer) shortage than a space shortage...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JeffPorter wrote:
JasonTremblay wrote: Black Oak only has two brewers, so there's no question of those cats going 24/7 in the near future.

Jason
So maybe it'll be more of a labour (re: brewer) shortage than a space shortage...
its not, it doesnt matter how many brewers you have if you dont have fermentors to put the beer they brew in

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If anyone's interested...

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

I tried a pint of the oatmeal brown last night and it was really solid. Deep brown colour with a touch of caramel when held to the light. Light grain, a bit of sweetness and a nutty/chestnut character on the nose. Also a mild floral aroma. Much of the same on the palate. Medium body and moderate carbonation...super drinkable. Was probably served a bit too cold. Reminds me a pepped up version of Amsterdam nut brown.

Well done. Looking forward to trying the others!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I think I'll wait until the 'home opener' party at 3030.....I think the beer will jsut taste better with baseball on TV. :P

heebes

Post by heebes »

where can one obtain the Oatmeal Brown ale in bottles? are they at Grand River? noticed a couple in "reviews" online.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I noticed it was on tap at Volo this weekend. Bottles will be harder to source, I imagine, though I could be wrong.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Had one at Thirsty & Miz last night and it was quite good. Not too heavy which was nice.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I had a couple pints of the Eephus Oatmeal Brown last night. It is very very good, at least to my taste. It reminded me somewhat of St Peter's Winter Ale, which is one of my favourite beers. Now I'm quite keen to try their others.

Flood

Post by Flood »

We're currently pouring this on draught at Pub Milos
beer up