Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

I'm really enjoying a new private liquor store

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KW1

I'm really enjoying a new private liquor store

Post by KW1 »

Well, a fairly new private liquor store in my city/province is really starting to impress me a whole lot.

They got in a few requests I asked for, including Gulden Draak, and 3 fonteinen golden blend / oude gueze. Super surprised on the latter.

This is in addition to westmalle dubbel/tripel, rochefort 6,8,10, la chouffe, mcChouffe, delerium tremens and nocturnum, all main chimay, etc, etc etc.

I find it amazing the beer selection I get in SK is extending to stuff not available in ON.

They have access to Le Trou and at my suggestion are looking to see if they can get some Le Trou du Diable Dulcis Succubus. I`ll know by the end of the week.
Last edited by KW1 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Insightful post. Yep

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Try to note the forum title is Random Talk, not Insightful Posts Only. :-?

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see how far beer selection has come in a very short time in SK, due to the introduction of a few private stores. Never thought I'd see 3 Fonteinen locally. SK is a very small market.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

We can get pretty much anything AB does.

In addition, SK has had the following:

Russian River
Stone
Lost Abbey
Port
Bells
Founders
3 Floyds
Avery
Oskar Blues

We had Green Flash years before anyone else, same with Old Rasputin. There is more that I can't think of right now.

I know a whole bunch of barleywines just got brought in, will be tasting them tomorrow.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

If names like this were regularly available, I'd be happy to move to SK. Who is hiring these days? Is it still the 'hot jobs' province of Canada?

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I`ve seen Lost Abbey and Stone, but the new private store in the City has not yet sourced these. The others I`m less familiar with.

Great stuff for sure.

And it seems many of these are going to be regularly available El Pinguino. SK is still booming and there are many job vacancies. It is resourced based, but is trickling through the economy. For eg, restaurants are doing very well. I moved to SK a few years ago from the GTA.

Only a few years ago SK was a poor place for beer as only the provincial liquor board was bringing in the alcohol. And beer variety was not much of a priority, especially with serving such a small population. A few private stores were allowed to launch and bam, it appears we`ve come from behind to leapfrogging over ON. It is a surprising to see how quick. And it is great news for those who like beer.
Last edited by KW1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

SK is great and you can leave those beers outside year round without them getting warm! Unfortunately some of those will be too cold for the style. Even in summer. :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Tapsucker wrote:SK is great and you can leave those beers outside year round without them getting warm! Unfortunately some of those will be too cold for the style. Even in summer. :lol:
We only have 2 seasons - winter and mosquitoes

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Didn't people get into 'trouble' for bringing the Russian River, Stone, & Lost Abbey/Port beers into SK? They were in the very grey market, I seem to remember.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Torontoblue wrote:Didn't people get into 'trouble' for bringing the Russian River, Stone, & Lost Abbey/Port beers into SK? They were in the very grey market, I seem to remember.
As I told Greg Koch, the private retailers purchased the beer through the SLGA govt system. You'd have to ask the SLGA where they sourced the product from...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

KW1 wrote: And it seems many of these are going to be regularly available El Pinguino. SK is still booming and there are many job vacancies. It is resourced based, but is trickling through the economy. For eg, restaurants are doing very well. I moved to SK a few years ago from the GTA.
Good to hear such positive things. Aside from the easy access to plenty of beer, and generally better jobs, I've never really been a big city person (Toronto now being #4 in North America apparently.)