Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big bottles equals Wines...?????

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

Torontoblue wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:OK, so here is my wish list:

- On the other extreme, single serving wine. This exists in Europe, but is hardly seen here. This is possibly because wine and beer are not sold like other beverages in Canada, but it's time. In Europe you might find yourself buying a beer or single serving wine with your street food. Oh yeah, we don't really do street food either...

It's only packaging folks!
The single serving size bottle, 187.5ml is actually deemed an illegal size to sell to the public by the liquor boards; and it can't even be offered as an on-pack size, either! It can only be sold to licensed establishments & sports arena's. Just another strange ruling by the all Governing boards. I don't see what harm this serving size can do to the mass public?

Its simple... After one, you might find you are satisfied and therefor don't want to make the trip for a second. We wouldn't want people paying less taxes, i mean drinking less, i mean.... ummm...

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Wasn't the lcbo selling a wines in single serving cans at the POP at one point?

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

icemachine wrote:
ErkLR wrote:
Tapsucker wrote: - Cheap corporate beer. Isn't it time they moved to tetra packs or wine bag/box format? Seriously, will their customer care?
Hehehe, "I'm going to the store to get a bag of Molson!" But the carbonation might be a problem. I was kind of surprised when bubbas didn't catch on, but I think their main problem was that you got mostly foam for the first couple glasses you poured.
http://www.carbotek.com/en
Ah, I was wondering how you'd keep a large bag of beer carbonated, especially near the end. Turns out their system adds CO2 to the beer after dispensing from the bag... like a soda machine. I could see it being practical for consumers for the same idea as bubbas, where you drink it all in one sitting (presumably shared).

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

It doesn't have to be decarbonated beer. Rogue is in the Keykeg which is carbonated and being dispensed widely across Ontario. The filling tube in the Keykeg is a rippled piece of plastic to prevent the bag from collapsing. Ingenious but way over engineered and way too much waste. The PETkeg is far more practical and much easier to recycle

All beer will be in something akin to this soon. Craft will lead the way as most of us don't have the budget to keep archaic stainless steel floats going. Europe is always 5 years ahead of the US and 10 ahead of Canada. Its just the way it is.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Rob Creighton wrote: Ingenious but way over engineered and way too much waste. The PETkeg is far more practical and much easier to recycle
That's interesting, I've never heard of the Keykeg. Single-use kegs would probably be very popular for people doing keggers.

Are PET kegs single-use as well? I've seen them before, but just assumed they were multi-use.