Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Driveway shovelin' beer.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Driveway shovelin' beer.

Post by Guybrush »

Do you have types of beer that you choose to drink, in order to accomplish different tasks?

Maybe it's just me, but not just any tasty craft beer will help me shovel that drive way. I like to choose one that is perfect for shoveling. I don't like to choose bombers(650mL or more) because i can't fit an entire one into a mug, and i don't want to be bothered with pouring beer while wearing snow covered gloves. (thermal coffee mugs work great! The tight lid prevents snow that you are shoveling from falling into the mug, or spilling if you knock the beer out of the snow bank, and the thermal walls prevent the snow bank from quickly freezing your beer into a slushy.)

I also don't like low alcohol beers because you know you need a bit of 'umph' from the beer to stay warm while shoveling. But at the same time you don't want those 9% beers (I'm looking at you Trois Pistoles!) because you start getting too drunk too fast, and that driveway doesn't end up getting shoveled; you just fall into the snow bank with a 9% beer in your hand...

Pry off caps are sometimes an issue too, because I don't have a bottle opener on my snow shovel, so I usually choose cans, or twist-off cap beers.

So basically I look for a 5.5% - 7% beer; usually having some dark roasted malts, or caramel malts to match the season.

It's funny, because I have beer at home, but not beer that will help me shovel the driveway, so I'm going out to buy some beer, so that I can shovel the driveway when I get back.

Anyway, that's just me. Sometimes I think I'm a little crazy, but then I just have a beer and think, 'nah'...

P.S. Years ago I lived at a place with a long-long driveway. And it took a lot of motivation to get the whole thing shoveled in one attempt (no snow blower, just shovels). So every 10 - 15 feet I'd plant a fresh bottle of beer, and I used them as rewards for clearing each section, until i got to the end. Worked like a charm!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

based on your requirements id say Great Lakes Devils Pale Ale is a good option, Fullers Porter was the first thing I thought of but falls just short of your 5.5% floor

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:based on your requirements id say Great Lakes Devils Pale Ale is a good option
I was gonna say GLB DPA as well. So, +1.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Truth be told, I do use London Porter for the driveway. Guess I should adjust that to anything greater than 5%. haha.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'd drink something like Hockley Stout, Neustadt 10W-30 or Wellington Dark - lots of malty flavor and a little more hydration while working than stronger beers.

Köstritzer is in cans also, a great Scwartzbier for outdoor activity.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Maybe even a Black Oak Nut Brown - not exactly higher in alcohol, but that beer always gave me a bit of a warm feeling and it's mildly refreshing...

DPA is a good choice too, but I've always associated Crazy Canuck with the mid-winter - maybe because that's when it was first launched.

Lastly, I'd suggest an RPA - only thing is now it's in bombers...so you might be stuck with the whole thing.

In terms of summer tasks - including long bike rides: nothing better than a fresh King Pilsner.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JeffPorter wrote:In terms of summer tasks - including long bike rides: nothing better than a fresh King Pilsner.
OT, but I've ached for them to put this in cans (as well as the other two) for ages. I would buy sooooo much more of it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Fullers London Porter is a good pick.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

velovampire wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:In terms of summer tasks - including long bike rides: nothing better than a fresh King Pilsner.
OT, but I've ached for them to put this in cans (as well as the other two) for ages. I would buy sooooo much more of it.
totally agree, we really need cans of King Pils, id buy it by the case

i was hoping that the distrobution would get better after they were sold but its still really hard for me to find this beer in the KW, and the brewery isnt open on the weekend which makes there beer very hard to buy

also, does anybody know that status of the dark lager? its only listed in 5 stores right now

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:also, does anybody know that status of the dark lager? its only listed in 5 stores right now
Seems like it got bumped to the back burner when the Vienna came on the scene. Which is a shame, really, because that is one top-notch dunkel. I see the Dark Lager at TBS whenever I'm there, which isn't often, but it looks like distribution through that channel is more consistent/has a greater range than the LCBO. Again, canned, this would be a staple in my rotation.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

My only problem with King is (not their fault) the amount of time they spent on the shelves. Last six I bought was pretty old and didn't have that bright crispness - mind you, the brewery is just a jaunt up the road from me, so maybe I should just go there...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John