Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Darklord Day - anyone trying for tickets?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

iguenard wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Definitely trying. I've never been, and I've never tried Dark Lord, so it seems like a no brainer.
I might just try to go also. For the happening, though I am disappointed that I could never make it out when it was epic, as described above.

Whats the link to purchase tickets?
http://darklordday.tickets.musictoday.c ... endar.aspx
12:00pm central time
expect it to be sold out at 12:03pm central time, and you need a US address
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

iguenard wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Definitely trying. I've never been, and I've never tried Dark Lord, so it seems like a no brainer.
I might just try to go also. For the happening, though I am disappointed that I could never make it out when it was epic, as described above.

Whats the link to purchase tickets?
http://darklordday.tickets.musictoday.c ... endar.aspx

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

That was way better than the KBS ticket sale...

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Tried for a few minutes, and then my client arrived (I'm at work), no luck!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I didn't even try but I am fascinated by the reaction to events like this, especially online comments where humanity's true colours shine brightest
https://www.facebook.com/ThreeFloydsBre ... 7537725053

I always think about Louis CK at times like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUNA2nutbk

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

NRman wrote:I didn't even try but I am fascinated by the reaction to events like this, especially online comments where humanity's true colours shine brightest
https://www.facebook.com/ThreeFloydsBre ... 7537725053

I always think about Louis CK at times like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUNA2nutbk
Geez, looking at those comments, this is why we can't have nice things!

Love that Louis clip...any Louis clip!
Last edited by phirleh on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Weebay wrote:
mintjellie wrote:No beer is worth entering a lottery, paying 30 dollars for a ticket, travelling almost a thousand kilometers, waiting in line to get in a pub, then waiting in line again to get the beer, and scratching another lottery ticket to see if I get the barrel-aged variant.

Unless I hear reports that this years batch cures Irritable Bowel Syndrome, makes bikini clad female beach volleyballers find me sexy, AND makes those who drink it shit golden turds, I really wouldn't consider trying.
Interesting way of looking at it I suppose.

Little different for me; I both driven and flown out with friends, spent some time in Chicago hitting up some cool beer bars and bottle shops, gone out and spent the day drinking beers I haven't had before and chatting with other beer geeks, made new friends, picked up my darklord, gotten some FFF swag and bottles, and generally had a awesome time. If you make the entire trip about just buying dark lord, yeah, it's stupid, and you're also ignoring a lot of what's going on around you.
Is Dark Lord really that good though? Is it actually a good enough beer to make it worth all the hoops you have to jump through to get it, even if it's only one day of multi-day beer vacation?

Why not spend Dark Lord Day visiting other pubs and breweries you don't need to enter a lottery to get in, drink tons of beer that's as good or better, and buy beer that's as good and possibly cheaper, all with less hassle and less time spent slowly shuffling to the front of a line?
Last edited by mintjellie on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I ran a sweat shop setup with indentured workers with iPads, managed to get two tickets.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Didn't get tickets. Fuck.

Now it's time for some entrepreneuring young minds to come up with some ways to get around the bullshit name on ticket nonsense.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

mintjellie wrote:
Weebay wrote:
mintjellie wrote:No beer is worth entering a lottery, paying 30 dollars for a ticket, travelling almost a thousand kilometers, waiting in line to get in a pub, then waiting in line again to get the beer, and scratching another lottery ticket to see if I get the barrel-aged variant.

Unless I hear reports that this years batch cures Irritable Bowel Syndrome, makes bikini clad female beach volleyballers find me sexy, AND makes those who drink it shit golden turds, I really wouldn't consider trying.
Interesting way of looking at it I suppose.

Little different for me; I both driven and flown out with friends, spent some time in Chicago hitting up some cool beer bars and bottle shops, gone out and spent the day drinking beers I haven't had before and chatting with other beer geeks, made new friends, picked up my darklord, gotten some FFF swag and bottles, and generally had a awesome time. If you make the entire trip about just buying dark lord, yeah, it's stupid, and you're also ignoring a lot of what's going on around you.
Is Dark Lord really that good though? Is it actually a good enough beer to make it worth all the hoops you have to jump through to get it, even if it's only one day of multi-day beer vacation?

Why not spend Dark Lord Day visiting other pubs and breweries you don't need to enter a lottery to get in, drink tons of beer that's as good or better, and buy beer that's as good and possibly cheaper, all with less hassle and less time spent slowly shuffling to the front of a line?
I suspect based on your description of the event that you haven't been, it's not like how you are describing it. There is a line in the morning, people are sharing bottles in it. You get into the grounds and there are multiple pour stations with FFF beer, there is also the guest beer tent that has kegs of cool stuff. People stand/sit around sharing beers and drinking FFF and guest stuff. If you want to get into line for the brewpub, you can. Later in the day there are some metal bands playing. There is no point in the day that you are without great craft beer in hand. The is the line up to buy the Dark Lord itself, which is pretty painless. If you are so inclined you can meet a ton of fellow beer geeks.

I like Dark Lord, it's good, it's not the best beer I've had.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Didn't get tickets. Fuck.

Now it's time for some entrepreneuring young minds to come up with some ways to get around the bullshit name on ticket nonsense.
Not an event I've been overly familiar with, as it's just a bit too far for a weekend for me.

As for tiks, all you need is whoever got a ticket to take you as their #2.
The person who bought the ticket doesn't have to 'go', but they do have to show up with their ID, and could technically then let 2 friends use their ticket even.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
- Yogi Berra

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

El Pinguino wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Didn't get tickets. Fuck.

Not an event I've been overly familiar with, as it's just a bit too far for a weekend for me.

As for tiks, all you need is whoever got a ticket to take you as their #2.
The person who bought the ticket doesn't have to 'go', but they do have to show up with their ID, and could technically then let 2 friends use their ticket even.
Eh, that would mean hanging out with some strange dude who could be a serial killer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Now it's time for some entrepreneuring young minds to come up with some ways to get around the bullshit name on ticket nonsense.
Which would lead to scalping and ridiculous prices...

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

JerCraigs wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Now it's time for some entrepreneuring young minds to come up with some ways to get around the bullshit name on ticket nonsense.
Which would lead to scalping and ridiculous prices...
At least then I'd be able to get a ticket.