Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Darklord Day - anyone trying for tickets?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Darklord Day - anyone trying for tickets?

Post by phirleh »

On sale this Sunday at 1:00pm (12pm Central)

http://darklordday.com/golden-tickets/
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

nope. stopped going when the format changed to a fenced event and they started discouraging bringing in stuff to share. the event is a shadow of it's former glory and it's no longer worth the effort just for DL.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

$30 per ticket is a bit ridiculous.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It`s a scam. beer is good. Not worth the wait though.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Nope. Been once and don't need to go back. For those considering it's much nicer going any other day of the year where you can enjoy their beers without the insanity!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Looks like I've missed the party, even though I like hunting great beer.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:nope. stopped going when the format changed to a fenced event and they started discouraging bringing in stuff to share. the event is a shadow of it's former glory and it's no longer worth the effort just for DL.
good to know. didn't realize that they stopped making it fun. i was planning on (trying to) going to one.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

That being said, tickets are still worth getting just to trade them later for nice beers. :)

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

iguenard wrote:That being said, tickets are still worth getting just to trade them later for nice beers. :)
From the sound of it, the person who bought the ticket(s) has to be there at entry with ID, to prevent ticket reselling. I've tried DL and have a bottle at home, and was curious about maybe going, but not so much now. It's the action in the hotels where the good drinking is, too bad it's no longer in the line up.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

iguenard wrote:That being said, tickets are still worth getting just to trade them later for nice beers. :)
Three Floyds put a stop to that this year, curious to see if the tickets will still sell out in 3 minutes.

I'm going again this year(ticket depending); as I have the last two years. It's a fun event, lots of great beers were shared. The majority of the bottle sharing was in line before the event started; but plenty was happening inside the grounds as well.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Definitely trying. I've never been, and I've never tried Dark Lord, so it seems like a no brainer.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

No beer is worth entering a lottery, paying 30 dollars for a ticket, travelling almost a thousand kilometers, waiting in line to get in a pub, then waiting in line again to get the beer, and scratching another lottery ticket to see if I get the barrel-aged variant.

Unless I hear reports that this years batch cures Irritable Bowel Syndrome, makes bikini clad female beach volleyballers find me sexy, AND makes those who drink it shit golden turds, I really wouldn't consider trying.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:No beer is worth entering a lottery, paying 30 dollars for a ticket, travelling almost a thousand kilometers, waiting in line to get in a pub, then waiting in line again to get the beer, and scratching another lottery ticket to see if I get the barrel-aged variant.

Unless I hear reports that this years batch cures Irritable Bowel Syndrome, makes bikini clad female beach volleyballers find me sexy, AND makes those who drink it shit golden turds, I really wouldn't consider trying.
Well put!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

mintjellie wrote:No beer is worth entering a lottery, paying 30 dollars for a ticket, travelling almost a thousand kilometers, waiting in line to get in a pub, then waiting in line again to get the beer, and scratching another lottery ticket to see if I get the barrel-aged variant.

Interesting way of looking at it I suppose.

Little different for me; I both driven and flown out with friends, spent some time in Chicago hitting up some cool beer bars and bottle shops, gone out and spent the day drinking beers I haven't had before and chatting with other beer geeks, made new friends, picked up my darklord, gotten some FFF swag and bottles, and generally had a awesome time. If you make the entire trip about just buying dark lord, yeah, it's stupid, and you're also ignoring a lot of what's going on around you.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Definitely trying. I've never been, and I've never tried Dark Lord, so it seems like a no brainer.
I might just try to go also. For the happening, though I am disappointed that I could never make it out when it was epic, as described above.

Whats the link to purchase tickets?