Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

100 Breweries in Ontario?!?!?!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

BTW, I first found out about Bamboo Beer from the Beer Manufacturers/Microbrewers and Brands List. THey are listed as a Microbrewer:

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/lists/bwt/beer.html

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

toweringpine wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:That is quite amazing, really. Never would have guessed. Anyone know if the one in Pembroke is for real? I spend some time in that area in the summer.
The one in Pembroke seems a bit iffy to me. Their blog posts have months or even years between them. If they started in 2009 and still aren't up and running then I don't have much faith they ever will be. I grew up near Pembroke and have been hoping for years that they would have a good beer for me to try when I am back for a visit but no lick yet.

Whitewater Brewing in Forster's Falls sounds promising though. They announced their formation in the fall I think and said they hoped to have some beer for sale by this summer. The facebook page looks like they may be getting there.
Where did you grow up? I'm from Cobden.

I don't know anything about the Whitewater, I think it's a bunch of guys that work at Wilderness tours. There is another brewery in the works in Rankin near Pembroke that will be called Square Timber that I know the brewer. I'm eager.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

What I find interesting is that there are 100 ontario breweries according to this list. But the Ontario Craft Brewers association only has like 28 member breweries. I know a number of breweries on this list aren't actually producing anything yet, but even taking that into account how the hell can the OCB have any kind of relevance if they don't even represent the majority of the brewers in Ontario?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Kel Varnsen wrote:What I find interesting is that there are 100 ontario breweries according to this list. But the Ontario Craft Brewers association only has like 28 member breweries. I know a number of breweries on this list aren't actually producing anything yet, but even taking that into account how the hell can the OCB have any kind of relevance if they don't even represent the majority of the brewers in Ontario?
I don't think contract breweries are eligible for membership but I could be wrong. Some brewers choose not to be members because there is (was?) a cost associated with it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:What I find interesting is that there are 100 ontario breweries according to this list. But the Ontario Craft Brewers association only has like 28 member breweries. I know a number of breweries on this list aren't actually producing anything yet, but even taking that into account how the hell can the OCB have any kind of relevance if they don't even represent the majority of the brewers in Ontario?
the OCB is just a collaborative maketing/lobbing group of breweries, if you want in you pay to play

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

matt7215 wrote:
the OCB is just a collaborative maketing/lobbing group of breweries, if you want in you pay to play
I get that they are a marketing/lobbying group, but I wonder how effective a group you can be, especially when it comes to lobbying, when you don't even represent half the small companies in the province making beer. By comparison, some quick googling tells me that the Vermont Brewers association represents almost all of the breweries in Vermont.

As far as contract brewers go, I checked the OCB page and Hogsback is a member. While Hogsback positions itself as an Ottawa company all of there beer is made at the Cool brewery in Toronto.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

Recently the OCB informed us that they do not count contract brewers or brewpubs as breweries.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

momnhops wrote:Recently the OCB informed us that they do not count contract brewers or brewpubs as breweries.
That's interesting, especially since their own website disagrees with that. If you look at their list of brewers it not only includes Hogsback (which is a contract brewer) but also the Clocktower and Granite brewpubs.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

Perhaps they mean going forward...

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

I am under the impression that contract brewers may join, but only as non-voting members.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

sprague11 wrote:This part stood out for me
After partnering with Trafalgar Ales & Meads in Oakville to perfect their recipes, manufacturing licenses are now in place and the final stages of artwork and listing with the LCBO are nearing finalization
They probably need Trafalgar's unique bacteria to get the bamboo to ferment...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Granite is not a brewpub. They can and do sell their beer in other bars.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

cfrancis wrote:
toweringpine wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:That is quite amazing, really. Never would have guessed. Anyone know if the one in Pembroke is for real? I spend some time in that area in the summer.
The one in Pembroke seems a bit iffy to me. Their blog posts have months or even years between them. If they started in 2009 and still aren't up and running then I don't have much faith they ever will be. I grew up near Pembroke and have been hoping for years that they would have a good beer for me to try when I am back for a visit but no lick yet.

Whitewater Brewing in Forster's Falls sounds promising though. They announced their formation in the fall I think and said they hoped to have some beer for sale by this summer. The facebook page looks like they may be getting there.
Where did you grow up? I'm from Cobden.

I don't know anything about the Whitewater, I think it's a bunch of guys that work at Wilderness tours. There is another brewery in the works in Rankin near Pembroke that will be called Square Timber that I know the brewer. I'm eager.
Square Timber is the name for the one in Pembroke I thought. It would take a true valley boy to notice there is a difference between Pembroke and Rankin. If you know the brewer and are eager then I will keep my hopes up.

I grew up in Deep River. All my family has left town but I still get up to see friends in Pembroke and Chenaux once in a while.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

midlife crisis wrote:Granite is not a brewpub. They can and do sell their beer in other bars.
They are a tied-house now.. but originally a brewpub.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yes, agreed. All I meant was, they are eligible for OCB membership.