Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Craft Brewers Conference 2013

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Craft Brewers Conference 2013

Post by Cass »

I know a bunch of folks are heading down this week, although seems like a bit fewer than past years. Here's part one of my usual preview for those interested in checking out DC this week:

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=3553

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

Thanks for the list!

I'm flying in Monday morning, back on Saturday via Porter. If anyone's interested in hoisting a pint or two, give me a shout on Twitter @JasonTremblay or shacklands /at\ gmail /dot\ com .

Jason

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I wonder if the 'lack' of interest is because it's on the East coast and not sunny California this year?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cali is tough to beat, and DC doesn't have as much beer cachet as something like Philly would on the east coast.

But I think there are still a boatload of Canadians going down this time, not sure how many from the west are going to make the trek.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Cass wrote:Cali is tough to beat, and DC doesn't have as much beer cachet as something like Philly would on the east coast.

But I think there are still a boatload of Canadians going down this time, not sure how many from the west are going to make the trek.
DC bars are able to stock a lot of beers not normally available on the east coast because D.C. lacks the common three-tier distribution system. The second article even mentions a bar owner who has PtE shipped to his bar from a Cali-based mail order business! And no surprise, Vinnie isn't happy about it. :lol:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... eer-haven/

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... otlegging/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Very interesting. Seems like less regulation has led directly to the some of the best selection in the country, perhaps at the cost of slightly higher prices.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I wasn't at the keynote this morning but received the presentation.

There were 409 brewery openings and 43 closures in 2012 in the U.S. Crazy. Craft beer sales at all time high down there.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote:I wasn't at the keynote this morning but received the presentation.

There were 409 brewery openings and 43 closures in 2012 in the U.S. Crazy. Craft beer sales at all time high down there.
How many buyouts by the big boys?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.