Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

top 10 Ontario beer on ratebeer.com

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

top 10 Ontario beer on ratebeer.com

Post by matt7215 »

havnt done this in a while

does not include retired beers

beer styles only (no cider or meade)

1 - Flying Monkeys BNL Imperial Chocolate Stout
2 - Bellwoods Witchshark Imperial IPA
3 - Great Lakes Brewing 25th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA
4 - Black Oak Ten Bitter Years
5 - Denisons Weissbier
6 - Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb Atomic IPA
7 - Muskoka Twice As Mad Tom IPA
8 - Great Lakes Brewing Karma Citra (single hop)
9 - Amsterdam Tempest Imperial Stout
10 - Great Lakes Brewing 25th Anniversary Robust Porter

heebes

Post by heebes »

Not a bad list. I'd get rid of both flying monkeys beers and add Bellwoods Saison and Hellwoods.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

I'd personally include Cameron's RPA in their somewhere, definitely over Smashbomb and Hellwoods over the Flying Monkeys BNL collaboration.

heebes

Post by heebes »

true, Camerons RPA would be a good swap for Twice as Mad Tom i think.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I would ditch Twice as Mad and add Headstock.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Haven't had Denisons Weissbier in a year or two. Probably time to revisit I don't remember it at all.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Certainly doesn't match up with my top 10, but all in all what I'd expect to see there. Was completely unaware BNL was getting that much love. Early buzz around + the price made me skip it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The BNL was well made. Good cold weather sipper despite the fact you risk diabetes if you're not sharing the bottle.

2 years ago:

1) Denisons Weissbier
2) Scotch Irish John By Imperial Stout
3) Black Oak Ten Bitter Years
4) Wellington Imperial Russian Stout
5) Durham Hop Head
6) Denisons Dunkel
7) Black Oak Hop Bomb
8 ) Black Oak Nutcracker
9) Mill Street Tankhouse Ale
10) Durham Hop Addict

How time flies!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Flying Monkeys have great beers and a great streak of new releases, but with the BNL they jumped the shark. That is just undrinkable, IMO.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Tapsucker wrote:Flying Monkeys have great beers and a great streak of new releases, but with the BNL they jumped the shark. That is just undrinkable, IMO.
Everyone I've ever drank BNL with has been disappointed. Honestly, it's one of the worst craft beers I've ever drank. The worst beer I've drank in the last two years without a doubt, and I've had some odd tasting homebrew in that time. I really, really, really, cannot understand how it rocketed to the top, because it just tasted like coco powder and play-dough the two times I've had it.

/rant

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The Great Lakes stuff all goes higher up the list if you use the averages rather than the Ratebeer score (they have fewer total ratings).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

groulxsome wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Flying Monkeys have great beers and a great streak of new releases, but with the BNL they jumped the shark. That is just undrinkable, IMO.
Everyone I've ever drank BNL with has been disappointed. Honestly, it's one of the worst craft beers I've ever drank. The worst beer I've drank in the last two years without a doubt, and I've had some odd tasting homebrew in that time. I really, really, really, cannot understand how it rocketed to the top, because it just tasted like coco powder and play-dough the two times I've had it.

/rant
Yeah, I cracked one at the cottage during the holidays and between five of us we didn't feel like finishing it. We resorted to pouring the dregs on our pancakes in the morning. It seemed like a good idea, but just ruined the pancakes.

I think chocolate and beer are an awesome pairing, but not in the same bottle.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Tapsucker wrote:I think chocolate and coffee and beer are an awesome pairing, but not in the same bottle.
Amended, and agreed 100% :wink:

Rob2013

Post by Rob2013 »

[quote="groulxsome"][quote="Tapsucker"]Flying Monkeys have great beers and a great streak of new releases, but with the BNL they jumped the shark. That is just undrinkable, IMO.[/quote]

/rant[/quote]

I think it's 'alright'. The aroma when opening the bottle is great but makes me think the taste will be more chocolatey than it is. For me the tempest is a much better overall beer.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

.......interested to see what people oppinions would be now.