Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Parkdale 2.0

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Parkdale 2.0

Post by Cass »

OK, I've temporarily removed the Parkdale thread as I don't like getting relentless requests and I don't have time for this kind of drama.

Parkdale Brewery has created a Facebook page with the presumed intention of showcasing that they are a brewery. Is there a brewery located in Parkdale currently operating by this name, producing beers as described on their Facebook page? It would seem that this is not the case.

To that end let's keep the discussion about the facts.

I have invited "Jason Parkdale" to join the conversation to let us all know what's the truth.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Cass, I'm hoping there's a cached/backup copy of the old thread, as "Jason" is now backtracking and deleting anything where he's calling people/brewers out, and his original rant on FB (which was posted here and fanned the flames) has since been deleted, so it really does look like we're 'all out to get him'.

I've asked him politely on Twitter to come over here for a Q+A, too.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Oh, don't worry, I have some juicy stuff that he sent to me personally, but I will keep a lid on it in the hope that he comes here to parlez.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I think I missed some recent developments, but agreed that the old thread could be useful if he's gone about deleting his own "incriminating" posts.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

You know, gentlemen all, I believe that this is a fine opportunity to suggest that everyone involved in the situation take it down a notch. If you look at the mom and hops website, you'll notice that there are over a hundred Ontario craft breweries listed. Not all of them have come to fruition yet.

There's no shame in attempting to open a brewery and having it take several months. Hell, there's not really any shame in attempting to open a brewery and having it take several years. I think we've all known people who daydream about owning their own brewery. What I'm saying is that there's no shame in potential. Most of the people who will ever exist on this planet don't exist yet.

Parkdale Brewery provably and demonstrably does not exist. The copyright on the name of the brewery certainly does, but it's neither a bricks and mortar brewery nor a contract operation.

Copyrighting your ideas is a good idea. It means that no one can use them while you're working on them. None of us have a problem with that.

It's just that in the interim period, none of us really understand the reasoning behind having put so much time and energy into building an online presence to promote a product that can't be purchased.

I don't see any reason that this needs to continue to be adversarial in nature. I think we can all simply call it quits if there is an acknowledgement on the owner's part that it simply doesn't exist yet. It's factual and there's no loss of dignity in honesty. In point of fact, it's a much better policy in terms of wanting to start a brewery.

I think we've all of us spent enough time on this. I don't want to watch over my shoulder for nasty comments on BlogTO, and I'm sure the Parkdale person doesn't want to spend all his time on this with so much work to do on getting the brewery (and so many other ventures) up and running.

So. Simply: admit that there isn't an actual brewery yet, that it's an idea that you're trying to work on. It's a work in progress. No one will fault you for trying. It's pretending to have succeeded in the face of all evidence that is really the issue.

I think that's a fair offer. It costs you nothing and we can all get on with our lives.
saintjohnswort.ca

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'm with you there saints_gambit. A simple "I've got an idea. It hasn't become reality yet. I'll let you guys know when it does." post could have avoided a lot of confusion and aggression.

Look forward to hearing what the real story is.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

my problem with the Parkdale Brewery concept is that, in its current form, it is misleading people. people think that there actually is beer being produced.

some may say "who cares?" but, when I visited his facebook page, i saw that a # of people i'm friends with who are chefs or restaurant owners are following PB's page.

my issue that some people can only have a vested (mental) interest in so many grass-roots projects. it would suck if a new, beer-producing brewery was ignored or not considered an option due to what's been (not) happening w/Parkdale Brewery.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Cass wrote:...To that end let's keep the discussion about the facts....
Solid idea. There is a very low signal-to-noise ratio for the existence of an actual Parkdale Brewery. The fact that will turn this conversation toward a positive direction, in support of a new brewer on the scene, is the day when the brewery provides evidence: a beer.

Why there has been no actual product to date is a mystery. Mr Jason Parkdale may post on BT or not. It's irrelevant. Who cares. The only thing that matters is his production of a real tangible product.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I think the most annoying part for me is just the constant flood of posts from PB (and affiliated pages) in my feeds. Constant updates showing 6-pack design with no content about the product is just tedious.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm on the fence about this since he's attacked me personally and he's duping many people, as others have said. However, I'm not trying to bait him but I would like to see his participation here in a discussion. His page doesn't seem to exist on Facebook, unless I've been added to the blocked list.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

His Jason Parkdale FB account is still active. You've been blocked!

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Malcolm wrote:I'm on the fence about this since he's attacked me personally and he's duping many people, as others have said. However, I'm not trying to bait him but I would like to see his participation here in a discussion. His page doesn't seem to exist on Facebook, unless I've been added to the blocked list.
It's still there. I think he is trying to track down the people that oppose him and block them.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

That's fine with me, as long as he isn't still using his page as a pulpit for insults and attack.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Liberty Village Brewing announces the release of, can you imagine, an actual beer:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8922

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

midlife crisis wrote:Liberty Village Brewing announces the release of, can you imagine, an actual beer:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8922
Why did you post this here, this is not a Jason Parkdale related brewery is it?