Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Tuesday Lunch option

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pushkinwow

Toronto Tuesday Lunch option

Post by pushkinwow »

Have an hour or two to kill in Toronto next week and had been hoping to go to Bellwoods to sample some stuff but seeing as they don't open until 5 that is out; anyone have some other suggestions? Volo is also out since I don't they open until 2 (and that is on the weekend, not sure about the week). Would like good food and beer in a chillaxed setting, the closer to Mississauga the better as we have to be there for something at 3.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I'm pretty sure BarHop opens at noon, their food is pretty good as well....had the burger on Monday and it was delicious.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Bryden's on Bloor has a decent selection and they open at 12. It's pretty far west. Another option would be The Rhino.

If you need to be in Mississauga though, why not just eat there? West 50 has 100+ taps to pick from: http://www.hiprestaurants.com/west50.html but I don't think they do much in the way of one-offs or really special beers.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Good suggestions.

I think Barhop looks the most promising although if we want to be safe with traffic etc depending on timing we may look at the Missassauga option.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Monk's Kettle at Bloor & Royal York has great beer and food and usually opens at noon, but you may want to doublecheck.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Second Monk's Kettle. Excellent and way west - practically in Mississauga already. Or how about Indie Ale House? Please don't do West 50.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote: Please don't do West 50.
Agreed. It is walkable from my office and I think I have been there for lunch 3 times in the past 3 years. And there are no other craft beer lunch options in the area.

Soods

Post by Soods »

C'est What is a good option. All craft brews there.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Absolutely. As is Bar Hop or Beer Bistro. But I think the idea is to be a bit closer to Mississauga.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Bryden's or Indie.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Grab a sandwich from somewhere, Grab a Project X bottle from Great Lakes and pray that no cops happen to be driving by while you're drinking beer in your car ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

sprague11 wrote:Grab a sandwich from somewhere, Grab a Project X bottle from Great Lakes and pray that no cops happen to be driving by while you're drinking beer in your car ;)
Considering we're renting a minivan to make the overnight trip drinking in a rental might not be a good idea...although its probably not a good idea regardless of whose car it is...unless we can borrow yours?

Since I am hoping to stop in at Bellwoods retail store I think barhop may make the most sense, but if we want to go closer to Mississauga then Monk's Kettle will be option #2.

Thanks guys.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

pushkinwow wrote:... the closer to Mississauga the better ...
There's WEST 50 POURHOUSE & GRILL in the Sussex centre across Burnhamthorpe Road from Square One mall. Good Food and over 100 draught beers, including Rodenbach flanders red ale.
http://www.hiprestaurants.com/west50.html
See what brews others have had at WEST 50 recently at
https://untappd.com/venue/43717

BIER MARKET has a recently open new location on the Queensway near Sherway mall. Some nice stuff on tap, in bottle, & on the food menu.
http://www.thebiermarkt.com/locations.php?loc=queensway
https://untappd.com/venue/448701
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Just wanted to say that Barhop was awesome...great food and beer - wish I could have stayed there for the afternoon and evening.