Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

$26,000 bottle of Glenfiddich stolen from LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

$26,000 bottle of Glenfiddich stolen from LCBO

Post by icemachine »

Alright, whoever did this better fess up, to me, in a PM, and I'll hand it back in for you, no questions asked as to why an ounce or two is missing... :)

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/ ... _lcbo.html
Police are asking for the public’s help after a man allegedly stole a $26,000 bottle of scotch from an LCBO store on April 7.

Police said the man walked into the LCBO store at 2 Cooper St. at Queens Quay just before 2 p.m. and took a 700 ml bottle of 50-year-old single malt Glenfiddich from a glass case in the store’s vintage section.

The man continued shopping and also chose a bottle of wine. Police said he paid for the wine, but not the scotch. The next day, the scotch was discovered missing. The bottle in one of only 15 in Ontario and 50 in the world, police said.

Police described the suspect as five-foot-ten, between 35 and 45 years old and clean shaven with black framed glasses. He was last seen wearing a brown hat, brown trench coat, black jeans and a Burberry plaid shirt.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I thought all the expensive stuff was behind LOCKED glass doors?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Torontoblue wrote:I thought all the expensive stuff was behind LOCKED glass doors?
The last time I bought one of those locked glass door items I didn't get to carry it around the store ($200 price), the LCBO employee took it straight to the cash register to hold it for me until I was ready to pay. Must not have happened for that pricey scotch. Oops!

Any employee repercussions for something like that?
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I thought for some bottles like that one, even the ones behind the glass are dummy bottles.

Someone at the 'BO must not be feeling so great right about now!

P.S. I have tried this whisky before!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Most of the stores here put the actual product behind the glass. Think there's one of these in Wine & Beyond and it's the real thing.

Wonder if it was either a disgruntled (ex)employee, or someone carelessly left the glass door open....how else would this person get the bottle? I can't see them just handing the bottle over to a customer, and then let them roam around the store...what if they dropped the bottle whilst browsing.

It doesn't really add up. Or am I looking at it too much?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The article says he "selected" the bottle...which to me means there was an employee there helping him choose / unlocking the glass for him.

It does seem odd that they would allow the person to handle such a bottle while walking around the store.

Perhaps a careless employee, or perhaps the guy wasn't working alone and had someone else distract the employee that knew he had the bottle....so he could escape.

Not the best quality photo of the guy, would've thought the LCBO would have higher quality cameras in store...

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

If they were charging $26,000 there was more than one robbery going on here ;)

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JerCraigs wrote:If they were charging $26,000 there was more than one robbery going on here ;)
I was thinking if there were people willing to line up for Utopias and Westvleteren then this should have sold out long ago...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

JerCraigs wrote:If they were charging $26,000 there was more than one robbery going on here ;)
That's a pittance. I priced out a Glenfarclas 50 Year Old, bottle #50 of 100....at around $50K a while back.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I did some work for Glenfiddich a couple of years ago. They bring in a couple of every year and they always sell. There's always some rich dudes around who want this kind of thing!

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

El Pinguino wrote:The article says he "selected" the bottle...which to me means there was an employee there helping him choose / unlocking the glass for him.
Often times police use the term "selected" when describing theives choosing what to steal...I don't think it implies staff helped him. My guess, he opened the case himself.

I thought all the really expensive bottles were behind the desk at customer service though.

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I have to admit, there's some ballz there. Not much brains though.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

there a item number for this? I'd like to add it to my drinkvine watchlist :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:
I did some work for Glenfiddich a couple of years ago. They bring in a couple of every year and they always sell. There's always some rich dudes around who want this kind of thing!
I get that it's a "what the market will bear" kind of situation. It's still crazy.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

spinrsx wrote:there a item number for this? I'd like to add it to my drinkvine watchlist :)
And knowing the LCBO, that bottle is still listed in stock probably, one of those "Phantom" bottles.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/