Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BC Scene

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

BC Scene

Post by Tapsucker »

I should probably leave this to Derek, but I'll kick off the thread.

I've been in Vancouver for a few days and there is lots of talk about several new breweries and brew pubs launching soon. I don't have much details, though. I hear one will be a spin off from Alibi. Another big one is called 33 Yards, or something.

Anyway, given the excitement over the proliferation of brewers in Toronto, BC, per capita, is almost scary. Looks like good times to come!

I'm also intrigued by Central City picking up a Canadian Brewing award for a Kellerbier. I does not appear to have distribution and I can't make it out to Surrey, but I sure would like to have a chance to try it.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I should probably get back to writing some news posts! :oops:

There's a crazy number of new breweries... here's a good article:
http://urbandiner.ca/2013/01/03/2012-th ... raft-beer/

I've hardly had any of them, but there's certainly some tough competition in this market. Even so, this nanobrewery was actually awarded for the best beer at the CBA's!
http://www.powellbeer.com/beer/old-jalopy-pale-ale/

Central City is a stop on the sky train... it takes a bit of time from downtown, but it's cheap & easy.

Parallel 49 is affiliated with St. Augustines. If you can get to either place, you should.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It was really a matter of time. If I had the time I would have headed to CC one way or another.

I like St Augustine from past visits, but the online list didn't mention anything special that I couldn't try elsewhere on that day. No slight against them, I just happened to be close to Alibi and chose that instead.

I had a few Parallel 49 beers and they were solid, but not mind blowing IMHO. Still I'd drink them again.

I was surprised to see Double Trouble beers on the local liquor store shelves, both government and private. For something not so widely distributed here, it sure made a journey.

I also noticed some advertising for Mill St. but didn't actually see the beers available anywhere.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Looks like Double Trouble is contract-brewed by Dead Frog.

I picked up a Hops & Robbers, but didn't like it as much as the Ontario version. The bitterness was much more gentle and it didn't seem to have the same hop punch. It could be the soft water on the coast, could be DF's excessive filtering.

I think it'll be a tough sell here, with so many great brews around that price point.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Just came back from a week in Victoria and thought I would add the Hoyne name to the list you should try when you see. Had three of their offerings, all very nice. Wasn't as impressed with Parallel 49 but they were all decent. And, as always, Driftwood is near the top of the pack, love what they do.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

For anyone interested in learning a bit more about some of the breweries on the West Coast, I have been writing about my recent visit to some of them on my blog "Student of Beer", starting at http://studentofbeer.wordpress.com/2013 ... o-brewing/
Too many beers, too little time...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Derek wrote:Looks like Double Trouble is contract-brewed by Dead Frog.

I picked up a Hops & Robbers, but didn't like it as much as the Ontario version. The bitterness was much more gentle and it didn't seem to have the same hop punch. It could be the soft water on the coast, could be DF's excessive filtering.

I think it'll be a tough sell here, with so many great brews around that price point.
I have found the canned version here in Ontario maltier and less hoppy than the versions I have had on tap in the past, so it might be a general recipe change.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.