Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is West Coast style IPA excessively bitter?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

schomberger

Is West Coast style IPA excessively bitter?

Post by schomberger »

Just heard a new Mill Street radio ad today driving home from work that slagged West Coast style IPA for being "excessively" bitter. Of course, their new product avoids such extreme nastiness, so don't be alarmed! At lest that's what I inferred, but a got a chuckle out of it as I navigated the traffic.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Mill Street's radio ads are painful.

Seems to me like they are trying to cater to the craft beer newbies, so I don't consider myself (or many around here) to even be their target market.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Some of them are.
saintjohnswort.ca

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I find good West coast IPAs to be really heavy in aromatic hops, not bittering hops.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

squeaky wrote:I find good West coast IPAs to be really heavy in aromatic hops, not bittering hops.
Exactly, should have elements of both.

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

I haven't heard the ad in question, but it strikes me as silly to complain about a certain style of beer that doesn't fit your individual preferences. What does "excessively hopped" mean, anyways? Were you expecting a pale ale and not an IPA? Or are we talking about enamel-melting, inappropriate for the style type of bitterness (of which there are very few if any examples in Ontario)?

Confused.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Did they say which product they are talking about? Are they releasing a new IPA to the LCBO?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Hmmm...after being thoroughly disappointed with two recent visits to "the brewpub" - which is so far behind the times it's barely worthy of that moniker IMO - I was gonna give them a second chance by checking out the new Beer Hall but I'll be sure to avoid the place now.

I haven't heard the ad yet but judging by the original post Mill Street is 1) going out of its way to reinforce macro beer stereotypes and misinform the drinking public by portraying a popular craft beer style (IPA/DIPA) and prominent beer flavour (hop bitterness) as undesirable; 2) willfully alienating hop heads to ostensibly attract beer newbs, oenophiles, and non-beer drinkers instead of educating the latter groups; 3) slagging a beer style that they've never been able to brew well instead of stepping up their game and actually making a decent WC IPA.

Pretty sad if you ask me. But then again if I had been brewing for 10+ years and never cracked above a 3.9 on Beer Advocate I'd probably be resentful of those annoying discerning beer geek tastes too.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cratez wrote:Hmmm...after being thoroughly disappointed with two recent visits to "the brewpub" - which is so far behind the times it's barely worthy of that moniker IMO - I was gonna give them a second chance by checking out the new Beer Hall but I'll be sure to avoid the place now.

I haven't heard the ad yet but judging by the original post Mill Street is 1) going out of its way to reinforce macro beer stereotypes and misinform the drinking public by portraying a popular craft beer style (IPA/DIPA) and prominent beer flavour (hop bitterness) as undesirable; 2) willfully alienating hop heads to ostensibly attract beer newbs, oenophiles, and non-beer drinkers when they could instead educate the latter groups; 3) slagging a beer style that they've never been able to brew well instead of stepping up their game and actually making a decent WC IPA.

Pretty sad if you ask me. But then again if I had been brewing for 10+ years and never cracked above a 3.9 on Beer Advocate I'd probably be resentful of those annoying discerning beer geek tastes too.
Well said.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Well, I really wasn't listening to the ad until I heard the part about "without the excessive bitterness of WCIPA's", but I had to assume it was referring to a new, safe, ONT style IPA. Trust me, the tone of this ad was excessively pathetic, even by Mill St standards.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Just checked their website, doesn't appear to be anything new....maybe the ad was for Tankhouse? I think it might also be something in a new sampler pack...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If they continued to brew an impeccable Pale Ale (which on a good day Tankhouse used to be?) MS could qualify to comment on others' pale ales and IPAs.

I agree the Brew Pub is out of touch with the current reality.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

From their FB, regarding Curious Parrot in the summer sampler pack: "CURIOUS PARROT Summer Sampler Pack, coming to The LCBO this week! 5% & 45 IBU -
This is why we sometimes let our brewmaster out of the brewery! While on vacation Joel came across this distinctive style of golden ale brewed with loads of aroma hops for a strong pine/citrus scent but without the excessive bitterness of West Coast IPA’s. A bright white head on a burnished golden body makes this beer a thing of elegant beauty. Curious indeed..."

Anyone tried it? I tend not to buy the sampler packs for one or two possibly interesting beers and four that sit in the back of the fridge for when skids come over.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I can't comment, not having heard the ad, if indeed it even exists, but I deny being bitter or having an addiction to bitterness.
8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

velovampire wrote: Joel came across this distinctive style of golden ale brewed with loads of aroma hops for a strong pine/citrus scent but without the excessive bitterness of West Coast IPA’s. A bright white head on a burnished golden body makes this beer a thing of elegant beauty. Curious indeed..."
This sentence makes my brain hurt.