Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CANTILLON LAMBICS

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Those of you who are afficionados of Belgian lambic beers have no doubt heard of the name Cantillon....universally regarded as one of the top 1 or 2 producers of this ancient style of spontaneously fermented beers. Unlike the more commercial offerings from people like Mort Subite which are brewed to suit a wider range of tastes, the Cantillon lambics are not for the faint of heart....wild, sour, incredibly complex examples of the brewers art.
We are putting together the first order ever to come to Canada and are booking reservations now....we expect to see the beers arrive in about 60 days time (give or take 2 weeks).
Available are the following in cases of 12 x 375ml bottles and per case prices shown are approximate, give or take $5:

Gueuze (unflavoured) $60.00
Kriek (cherry) $66.00
Rose de Gambrinus (raspberry) $66.00
Fou'Foune (apricot) $72.00

From what I have seen, these rare beers retail in the U.S. for around the equivalent of CAD125.00 per case so these prices are increcibly good.

We'll be booking orders for the next week so please get back to us a.s.a.p..

Peter Lopaty
President
ESPRIT AGENCIES
56 Claymore Drive
Toronto, ON
CANADA M8Z 2S2
tel 416-762-4133
fax 416-762-5593
e-mail: esprit@primus.ca

al

Post by al »

Hi Peter
I may be interested in get one case of each. How would it work from here. Also Your voicemail box is full.

Thanks
Al

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Fabulous news . . . and great prices. These retail for about $7.00 US at Premier.

Cheers, Joe.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'd love a bottle or two of some of those. If anyone orders a caase let me know and I might chip in.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Oh, happy days!

I'm currently waiting for my Rochefort 10 and Achel Brune. Next, I'm planning to order some Traquair Jacobite and possibly House Ale. Then I hear about Prize Old Ale coming back, and now Cantillon! :grin:

Peter, I'll be e-mailing you my want list shortly.

Andrew

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Al, I'll be at your place in about 60 days. :smile:.

Your first couple bottles will be hard to finish (these are very different than the Lambics you know). However after that it is a tremendous delight. By the way Paul, if you ever need a contact for Drie Fontenen products let me know. I will take a case of the gueuze, let me know what to do.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Not that I need to do a big selling job on these beers, here's a very recent review of the 2000 vintage of their Gueuze from the World Beer Championships:

Brasserie Cantillon 2000 Gueze Lambic.

Hazy golden honey color with a wonderful traditional lambic nose. Full mouthfeel with a splendid array of earthy flavors and a profound, quenching acidity culminating in a dry lingering finish. What traditional lambic is all about.

WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Platinum Medal
RATED: 98 points (Superlative)
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 7%
CATEGORY: Lambic Gueuze
TASTING LOCATION: Our Chicago Tasting Room
TASTING DATE: 8/27/2003
BEER ID: 169267

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

On 2003-10-28 12:15, esprit wrote:
Hazy golden honey color with a wonderful traditional lambic nose. Full mouthfeel with a splendid array of earthy flavors and a profound, quenching acidity culminating in a dry lingering finish. What traditional lambic is all about.
That's not at ALL how I would describe that... I consider this beer a *must* try if you haven't had it, but I am not a geuze fan myself.

al

Post by al »

Hey Peter just wondering if there is any word on when these beers will be coming in. I am really loooking forward to them. Thanks Al

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was at the Esplanade Bier Markt on Thursday night and they had the Cantillon beers listed on their menu.

I asked the bartender if they had any (knowing the answer already), but he said "tomorrow morning". So maybe they're arrived?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

NO, Cantillon is not in yet.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Any approximate idea when?

Joe

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm trying to find out as we speak...the brewery is a bit tough to deal with as getting answers is like pulling teeth.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Oops... wrong topic! Please ignore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DAN-D-MAN on 2004-02-11 15:26 ]</font>

al

Post by al »

Hey, I was just wondering if you have heard anything Peter. I've order 4 cases of this and would really like it. If you could give a time frame or something it would be great. Also if it is not going to come I have the money saved for beer, so would like to order other beers with it.

Thanks
Al