Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CANTILLON LAMBICS

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The first shipment is in and in the LCBO lab so we expect it to be released late next week and be available for distribution. That will be the Gueuze, Kriek and Rose de Gambrinus.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Great...can't wait.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Well, I should have known, the LCBO lab is holding up the Cantillons deeming them "unfit for sale" because the "volatile acidity" exceeds the standard....no doubt Molson Canadian sets the standard! We'll be appealing this ruling based upon the fact that Cantillon is such a unique product that no Canadian standard for beer could ever have been set with a beer like this in mind. As the acidity does not pose a health hazard, we are hopeful that we will be given an exemption. We'll keep you posted.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

And if an exemption is not forthcoming will the LCBO braintrust dispose of the offending liquid? :roll:

Slainte,
Jeff

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

What's the estimated time this will take? You've been through this before, no doubt.

I've got two words . . . fucking stupid.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Joe
Last edited by joey_capps on Sat May 01, 2004 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

And in a related story, the LCBO is set to unveil a new corporate logo which is more in keeping with their current mission:

Liquor CONTROL Board of Ontario

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

no word of a lie, some lcbo boxes came into beerbistro the other day and their slogan is "your business is our business" so true

kp

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I feel nauseous. Are there standards for wine being too dry or sweet? Liquor being too sweet? sour? spicy? What a load of crap. :evil:

Also, are there not different rules/exemptions for private orders? If you can ask that the lab stuff be waved for a small order, why not each of us have it waved for our own small orders? This is just so frustrating...
Last edited by Andicus on Sat May 01, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I can't estimate the time although it will hopefully only be a matter of days before we get a yay or a nay although I'm cautiously optimistic...15 years ago when I started importing Belgian beers, every bottle-conditioned beer was rejected by the lab because of "active yeast"...it took a good year or two to get them to acknowledge that there are beers in the world made this way.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Andicus, a good portion of the product was going to licensees and they can't waive lab. To have done private orders for every individual would have meant a separate P.O. and separate case labels for each order and the supplier would never agree to this.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

esprit wrote:Well, I should have known, the LCBO lab is holding up the Cantillons deeming them "unfit for sale" because the "volatile acidity" exceeds the standard....no doubt Molson Canadian sets the standard! We'll be appealing this ruling based upon the fact that Cantillon is such a unique product that no Canadian standard for beer could ever have been set with a beer like this in mind. As the acidity does not pose a health hazard, we are hopeful that we will be given an exemption. We'll keep you posted.
Peter, this is May 1st, not April 1st. You almost had me there.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Peter,
Out of curiosity, does the LCBO charge you when you appeal their decision? If they do, it smacks of a make work project.

Jeff

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

No, they do not charge for an appeal...in the formal sense, it's not an appeal, I simply contact the Manager and.or Director of Quality Assurance and discuss the issue with them. I came across this volatile aciditiy issue before with St. Peter's Grapefruit Beer and they let it pass even though it was going into retail stores so I'm hopeful that we won't have a major problem here.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

FYI, the Cantillon Gueuze has been released by the LCBO while Kriek and Rose de Gambrinus are still being held up. I've contacted anyone who ordered only the Gueuze so that they could arrange to get theirs. I haven't bothered contacting others who ordered more than one product as it's too much hassle to make multiple contacts for each product. We'll wait until everything is released (we hope) and then do complete orders. For those interested, we should be delivering the Gueuze to Esplanade, Biermarkt, Smokeless and Volo next week. St. Veronus in Peterborough and Pub Italia and Vineyards in Ottawa will see some in about a week or two. :P

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Good news, Peter. Never thought I'd regret ordering more variety. :D

Although, hopefully the release of the gueuze is a good sign for the others.

Anxiously waiting.... Andrew