Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CANTILLON LAMBICS

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Esplanade also has the Gueuze and will have the Rose for tonight and at some really great prices!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Well, in their infinite wisdom the Canadian Food Inspection Agency has rejected the Cantillon Kriek for sale in Canada because of the Potassium Ferrocyanide levels...levels which, by the way, would be acceptable if the product were wine instead of beer. They base their rejection on a study of beer consumption in Canada which came up with an average daily consumption and they then extrapoloated the volume of Potassium Ferrocyanide one would consume as a result and deemed this to be a potential health hazard. Needless to say, we have appealed based upon the fact that average daily consumption of Labatt's Blue has nothing whatseover to do with a product like Cantillon Kriek. On this one the LCBO is on our side but they are powerless to do anything so we'll have to wait for the CFIA to review this case again.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

This certainly sucks! Any idea when it will be reviewed again?

Also, can we have the remainder of our shipments sent out anyway? In addition to a case of Kriek, I was down for 2 cases of Gueuze and 1 case of Fou'Foune.

Let me know, and the cheque will be on it's way!

al

Post by al »

I also would love to get my hands on my other cases of Cantillon and then go on waiting for the Kriek. If this is possible I'll either come and get them or send a check. Which ever is easier for you.

Al

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'll be working on releasing the Gueuze and Rose to those of you who have booked these so I'll be in touch shortly. As for Fou'Foune (apricot), I did advise everyone that none would be available to the public...we only received 5 cases and they are all at Smokeless Joe's if you'd like to try one.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

esprit wrote:I'll be working on releasing the Gueuze and Rose to those of you who have booked these so I'll be in touch shortly. As for Fou'Foune (apricot), I did advise everyone that none would be available to the public...we only received 5 cases and they are all at Smokeless Joe's if you'd like to try one.
Can I substitute a third case of Gueuze instead?

al

Post by al »

Thanks Peter,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

I don't want to make anybody miserable, but I was in Chicago recently and had some Cantillon 1900 lambic on tap at the Map Room. Here's their current draught beer list: http://www.maproom.com/beer.htm. It's a splendid bar with beers we just can't seem to get here. Oh, Canada.
Nick

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:We're hoping that we will be able to offer all of their brews, however, that will depend upon the outcome of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency ruling on the Kriek...if that goes against us then we'll never see Cantillon in Ontario again.
Wow. Ontarians pay taxes for this? You don't hear about generations of Belgians dropping dead from Kriek consumption, but then you never do know what goes on over there...

Anyway I hope this offer to import great Geuze is repeated here in the future. I'm in.

To Smokeless Joes I go...
In Beerum Veritas

chico

Post by chico »

I don't want to make any publicity for bièropholie, but you should see their newest order, kébec automne 2005, you want some cantillon, they are proposing all the good stuff from the brewery, like fou'foune, kriek "yes, friends from ontario", gueuze bio, st-lamvinus,Iris, rosé de gambrinus, vigneronne, so if you know a friend living in québec, you are a lucky guy! :) www.bieropholie.com

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

chico wrote:I don't want to make any publicity for bièropholie, but you should see their newest order, kébec automne 2005, you want some cantillon, they are proposing all the good stuff from the brewery, like fou'foune, kriek "yes, friends from ontario", gueuze bio, st-lamvinus,Iris, rosé de gambrinus, vigneronne, so if you know a friend living in québec, you are a lucky guy! :) www.bieropholie.com
This has been brought up before, but is anyone interested in doing a joint BarTowel order for this?

How exactly do these orders work, anyway?

-Josh

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

detritus wrote:This has been brought up before, but is anyone interested in doing a joint BarTowel order for this?
My girlfriend is salivating at the thought of getting her hands on them so there's one more. Specifically the kriek and rose de gambrinus.

What are the St-Lamvinus, Iris and Vigneronne? Depending on what they are she could be interested in those too.
lister

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

There are two clubs (Bieropholie and Institut de la Biere). First to order, you have to be a member of the ordering club (Bieropholie: 5$ per order, up to a total of 25$, Institut: 35$ ). The clubs are considered not for profit oenological clubs. That's simple.

You must order by the case.

It would be a bit complicated for people living in GTO. With both clubs, orders are delivered to your closest SAQ. So you would need someone in the QC/ON border (ex.:Ottawa) area to order and pick up the case at SAQ (in Gatineau), and someone from GTO to come and pick up the case in Ottawa. You are not guaranteed to receive the product either, as I experienced with Boone.

Payments are done on a 2 tier: 1) deposit and fees to the clubs for the importing agent, then 2) on possession at the SAQ.

If one of you comes to Ottawa fairly often, then this may be doable.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

So you would need someone in the QC/ON border (ex.:Ottawa) area to order and pick up the case at SAQ (in Gatineau)
Does this require a QC mailing address or have you been able to place orders from Ottawa?

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Nope, I have done it . You place the order with Bieropholie or Institut via their site, and indicate the closest SAQ from the list provided (Ottawa: in Hull, on du Plateau, near the StarCité). The club buyer will then contact you to let you know how much is the deposit/fee, which you pay him. You wait (months!). Then the SAQ calls you to let you know your order as arrived, and to pick it up. You pay the balance to SAQ. That's it.