Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CANTILLON LAMBICS

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

chico

Post by chico »

For what i heard, it' seems that the people of bièropholie managed well the situation with cantillon, and they will get all the beers that they ordered through the brewery, like kriek :x yes the kriek!!!, foufoune, iris, rosé de gambrinus, vignerone, st-lamvinus.... For those knowing people in the québec, you are lucky!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Indoobidibly!

I managed to get on a group of ordering folks large enough to be able to buy one of each bottle.

Hmmm cant wait!, long live Ottawa, the collest border town.

Iris is an unblended lambic brewed and dry-hopped, giving that Lambic Cantillon flavour with a cutting hops bite with a resiny flavour.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

You're all going to die....at least as far as the LCBO lab is concerned!

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

chico wrote:For what i heard, it' seems that the people of bièropholie managed well the situation with cantillon, and they will get all the beers that they ordered through the brewery, like kriek :x yes the kriek!!!, foufoune, iris, rosé de gambrinus, vignerone, st-lamvinus.... For those knowing people in the québec, you are lucky!
Is Quebec not beholding to the CFIA? My understanding was the Kriek was disallowed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency due to the high concentrations of cyanide as compared to Blue Light. F*!^ing Bureaucrats. As a result, the Gold Standard of Cantillon orders was queered for the Province of Ontario.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I believe it was the LCBO testing lab. The real burn was that the same level of cyanide would have been acceptable for a wine, but since it was a beer, it was too high. The assumption being that you'd be guzzling the beer like a fratboy.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Andicus wrote:I believe it was the LCBO testing lab. The real burn was that the same level of cyanide would have been acceptable for a wine, but since it was a beer, it was too high. The assumption being that you'd be guzzling the beer like a fratboy.
I thought the initial hold-up was the LCBO lab (volatile acidity :roll: ) but it was the CFIA rule about the cyanide in cherry pits that finally killed the order. I imagine Quebec ignores a lot of CFIA rulings, with their seemingly much more vibrant cheese and other traditional food producing community.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote: I imagine Quebec ignores a lot of CFIA rulings, with their seemingly much more vibrant... food producing community.
Québecois don't seem more vibrant, they most certainly are, and it's the fault of dumb-ass visionless Ontario regulations that they prevent any real 'culture bugs' from catching on right here and causing say, oh, any of that unabashed sensual enjoyment of life that Europeaan French culture has magically brought to Québec.

Go French Canada! :D
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Dont be to quick to judge:

Article from Le Devoir, Montreal newspaper
http://www.ledevoir.com/2006/01/17/99857.html

Grosso-modo, this says that in Quebec, makers of "artisanal" alcohols no longer can sell their products in stores that posess a grocery permit (i.e. everywhere they currently are selling it). So pretty much all quebecois "terroir" products must now be sold either through producer stands in markets, which offer only a limited variety to the consumer, or via a "SAQ Terroir" location that has had a suspiciously coincidental openning nearby.

We like to shoot ourselves in the foot when we get good ideas... The only saving grace is that this does not seem to apply to beer. Only spirits like whisky, cider, etc. But hey, united we stand.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The reason that some products slip through in Quebec is that SAQ tests only sporadically while the LCBO tests each and very product coming into the province reglardless of quantity.