Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Block Three Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Block Three Brewing

Post by Kish84 »

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it looks like another brewery is popping up in Ontario, this time in St. Jacobs, just outside Waterloo.

I was at the Bent Elbow earlier and Harold told me their year round offerings will be (if I remember correctly) a maple brown, a saison, and a kolsch. When they become available, Harold will have all 3 taps up.

I think I've met Bryan (the brewer) at Imbibe before, I believe he was working Wellington back then.

Another more recent link
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Streets

Post by Streets »

My cousin's fiance is one of the founders and they're supposed to be open for business today! My folks were planning on checking it out so I'll report back if I hear anything.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2013/08 ... st-jacobs/
ST. JACOBS, ON – Four months after it was first announced, Block Three Brewing will be opening its doors this weekend in the Southwestern Ontario village of St. Jacobs.
Founded by local beer club members Derek Lebert, Graham Spence, Phil Hipkiss and Bryan Maher, Block Three will be launching tomorrow (August 31st) with King Street Saison, which will be available in bottles, growlers and kegs. A second beer – Sugar Bush Brown Ale – will be packaged over the weekend for later sales.
King Street Saison will also be debuting on tap today at craft beer bar Imbibe Food & Drink in nearby Kitchener.
Block Three will be open for retail sales this weekend from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Saturday & Sundays, and 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Labour Day Monday. Regular business hours will be announced soon via the Block Three Facebook page and Twitter feed.
Last edited by Streets on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I had the Saison on Friday at the Bent Elbow, and went over to the brewery today as the Sugar Bush Brown Ale was available. Nice place, and fairly busy. No seating yet, t-shirts, bottle openers, key chains, glasses, tap handles and a bit more available for purchase for very reasonable prices.

Growlers are $10+$5 deposit, 6 packs of 500mL bottles are $22.95, I don't remember the price of the 12 packs. Pints are $5.

Picked up a growler of the Saison, and a 6 of the brown. Both are pretty good, the saison is super crushable. Looking forward to see what else they do.

Walking around St. Jacobs, it seems like the community already supports them well, saw a lot of Block Three t-shirts being worn.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I was there today as well. They opened yesterday, and Bryan (Brewmaster) told me that yesterday was insanely busy and that they sold out of all their saison bottles. It was still available on draught/growler, but not much is left and he said there'd be a shortage for a week or two. Also said they're open every day of the week, except Wednesday.

Overall a beautiful brewery with good beer at great prices (especially the growler... $10 a fill!). I will definitely be supporting them in the future.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

I grabbed a 6-pack of the saison from the brewery on Saturday. It was great.

I was surprised how many Block 3 t-shirts I saw downtown in Guelph on Sunday.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i plan on checking these guys out this weekend

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

They have the Saison again as of today. Good beer. Was there at lunch to buy it . The vibe and the activity in this place are unlike anything I've seen in a brewery start up. I predict very good things for these guys.