Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smoking and beer -- polarizing?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steak Andersson

Smoking and beer -- polarizing?

Post by Steak Andersson »

This thought seemed ludicrous when it first crossed my mind, but, the more I think of it, is it possible that certain beers are formulated to appeal to smokers?

For example, in my extremely unscientific study, I've attended my local pub for almost 25 years. I've noticed that those who order craft (or, at least, craft-ish) beers rarely go outside to smoke. On the other hand, those patrons ordering Canadian, Keith's, Budwater, or Blue (and other macros) retire to the patio with alarming frequency.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it a socioeconomic thing? Are my powers of observation off? Do those who drink craft beers value intact flavours more? Maybe the macro drinkers far outnumber the craft drinkers so I notice them more?

I'm sure a lot of smokers drink craft beer, so I don't think it's a black or white thing.

Genuinely curious.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Interesting observation. It isn't (can't be) black and white, but I think it's a socioeconomic phenomena. Same type of thing that you see at my place of employment when you look at who the smokers are and what their level of education is. Not all the high school grads smoke, not all the university degrees don't.....but there's definitely a pattern.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

+1 for Socio-economics. Mind you, I see fewer people smoking in general. Inlcluding the teenagers I teach - except, of course, for weed.

Now, a nice cigar with a good belgian double...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Agree with scocioeconomics. Hamilton's economic status is not so hot and the smoking rate is super high, yet still not many smokers in the craft beer establishments.

Steak Andersson

Post by Steak Andersson »

@boney

How would you rate the overall patronage levels in Hamilton's craft beer establishments these days -- up or down? (Relative to better economic times.)

I'm also wondering if smoking rates rise and fall with economic climates. (And how beer preferences -- craft/macro -- correlate. Canadian is cheaper than Mad Tom, for example.)

Head explodes...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Smoking deadens the palate and the sense of smell; I don't see the point of being a fresh-hop IPA purist while hammering your keen senses with cigarettes.

Then again maybe some big imperial stouts or spirit barrel-aged strong ales pair nicely with a stogie or a cig. I know I used to like rum and cola with my Export A's, back in the day.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I got into better beer over a decade ago and quit smoking eight years ago. I used to enjoy mostly over the top hops or beers that had powerful flavors. Now I still enjoy those but I can appreciate the more delicate nuances of a good lager or a nice mild much better than I used to. When I smoked I never really tried a barley wine. I'd sorta like to try one with a nice cigar on the balcony on a clear fall evening but I know cigars are not in the cards for me. I'll have to rely on reviews from others here if that is a good match.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote:Smoking deadens the palate and the sense of smell; I don't see the point of being a fresh-hop IPA purist while hammering your keen senses with cigarettes.
Exactly. I was already cutting back on my cigarette habit when I started drinking good beer and paying attention to flavours.

I distinctly remember the first night I combined the 2 (cigarettes and good beer)... it was the last time I had a cigarette. There was no way in hell I was gonna let a cigarette ruin my enjoyment of a great beer again.

Two commercial brewers in town are both heavy smokers... surprise, surprise... their beers are often riddled with off flavours (typically diacetyl)... one has even admitted to me that he can't taste most off flavours.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Two commercial brewers in town are both heavy smokers... surprise, surprise... their beers are often riddled with off flavours (typically diacetyl)... one has even admitted to me that he can't taste most off flavours.
Happens in the restaurant kitchens too. Too salty? There's a reason for that.

I wonder if the Trafalgar brewers are smokers... That may explain things... :lol:
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:
Happens in the restaurant kitchens too. Too salty? There's a reason for that.

I wonder if the Trafalgar brewers are smokers... That may explain things... :lol:
Or just amazingly inept at quality control? T$#@%ger used to seem like the only seasonal brewery that LC consistently supported; easy to look back now and laugh at what were miserable times.

And I hate over-salted food... there's no excuse for it! Salt addition is measurable, and even really old chefs can compensate for 'palate loss' by relying on memory and past experience.
In Beerum Veritas

Streets

Post by Streets »

boney wrote:Agree with scocioeconomics. Hamilton's economic status is not so hot and the smoking rate is super high, yet still not many smokers in the craft beer establishments.
JeffPorter wrote:+1 for Socio-economics. - except, of course, for weed.
:wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ I lived in Hamilton for a year - seems like a nice place to live if you already have money or at least access to a profitable niche like real estate.

Reminds me of Kingston ON. Smug living for the wealthy and well-connected.
In Beerum Veritas