Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods in the US

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

cratez wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
cratez wrote:That said, I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States
Monkeys has been in the States before, maybe still are.
Which products, and where in the U.S.?
LOTS of Ontario Breweries are about to jump into the WNY Market. The number that are taking the plunge at once is kind of shocking.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

rudolf wrote: LOTS of Ontario Breweries are about to jump into the WNY Market. The number that are taking the plunge at once is kind of shocking.
Okay, but that still doesn't answer my question regarding which states carry Flying Monkeys products. Also, any official confirmation/announcement from the Ontario breweries that are about to distribute to NY, like a news release, website article, etc? Again, AFAIK Bellwoods is the first out of the gate.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

cratez wrote:
rudolf wrote: LOTS of Ontario Breweries are about to jump into the WNY Market. The number that are taking the plunge at once is kind of shocking.
Okay, but that still doesn't answer my question regarding which states carry Flying Monkeys products. Also, any official confirmation/announcement from the Ontario breweries that are about to distribute to NY, like a news release, website article, etc? Again, AFAIK Bellwoods is the first out of the gate.
I don't want to speak for those about to launch in NY, but Waterloo has been sitting on shelves at Consumers Beverages for over a year now. Not sure how quickly it moves, but its there. As far as I'm aware Bellwoods was the second Ontario brewer to distribute to the US. I've never seen Flying Monkeys stuff on shelves here in Buffalo. There is another Hoptical Illusion - perhaps someone was confused by that?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

So, I'm a little confused. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that when Bellwoods opened their strategy was to by hyper local, as in a kind of "100 mile diet" distribution model and we would not see their beers far past the immediate community. Perhaps this was their stated goal or it was just passed on to me wrong by others.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Tapsucker wrote:Perhaps this was their stated goal or it was just passed on to me wrong by others.
Or perhaps the beer got to CA through "alternative channels". There's a chance they don't even know it's there (or weren't the ones who sent it). I have no idea, but it's a possibility!?

I was just as the Beer Temple in Amsterdam which has arguably a better selection of American craft beer than any bar I've been to in the US, and most of it (certainly the crazy rare stuff) I was told got there via the owner's suitcase.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Agree. I think someone at the store brought back a case of Bellwoods beer to re-sell. In America they call this 'Capitalism' and I like the sound of it.

Maybe stop assuming Bellwoods distributed the beer.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:
Really?

For what it's worth a friend say Witchshark in Chiago last last weekend as well. Same price.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Who knows, maybe an agent took a pallet stateside.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

cratez wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
cratez wrote:That said, I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States
Monkeys has been in the States before, maybe still are.
Which products, and where in the U.S.?
Peter's daughter (can't remember her name right now), who is the Sales Mgr, told me they were shipping into the States as well as Sweden. That was April '12. Bill Mactavish (who was there sales rep, now owner of Imbibe in Kitchener), who was present for said conversation, proceeded to complain about having beer for export but not having enough for all the bars. To which Peter's daughter replied "if someone wants to buy an entire skid in one shot, you sell them the skid."
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Serving the local market first appears to be of importance if you look at what DFH and Founders have done... Pulled back on distribution until they had proper capacity to serve.

The sell a skid mentality appears to be short sighted as if you sell it and product sits on the shelves (no marketing to support it) then you may have issue convincing them to ever buy again.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Belgian wrote:Agree. I think someone at the store brought back a case of Bellwoods beer to re-sell. In America they call this 'Capitalism' and I like the sound of it.

Ummm, I think that's a pretty strong assumption on your part Belgian.

Fairly certain this photo proves that they are legitimately being imported into the US.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm pretty sure I've seen Lake of Bays at a few US beer festivals. They were for sure at the Philly craft beer fest. I assumed at the time that meant they probably had a US distribution deal with someone or another, but I don't really know anything about it.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

squeaky wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen Lake of Bays at a few US beer festivals. They were for sure at the Philly craft beer fest. I assumed at the time that meant they probably had a US distribution deal with someone or another, but I don't really know anything about it.
I'm sure they will do well in a market that gets Russian River and countless other incredible offerings.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:
squeaky wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen Lake of Bays at a few US beer festivals. They were for sure at the Philly craft beer fest. I assumed at the time that meant they probably had a US distribution deal with someone or another, but I don't really know anything about it.
I'm sure they will do well in a market that gets Russian River and countless other incredible offerings.
Do they even do well in THIS market? I stopped buying their products long ago...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

rudolf wrote: I don't want to speak for those about to launch in NY, but Waterloo has been sitting on shelves at Consumers Beverages for over a year now. Not sure how quickly it moves, but its there. As far as I'm aware Bellwoods was the second Ontario brewer to distribute to the US.
Huh, I'll be damned. Waterloo is pretty much the last Ontario brewer that I would expect to be distributing to the States, and I'm willing to bet only the most ardent tickers will be interested in their beers. But they are one of our largest and oldest crafters and they have huge distribution within the province so I guess the capacity is there.
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Peter's daughter (can't remember her name right now), who is the Sales Mgr, told me they were shipping into the States as well as Sweden. That was April '12.
Okay, so there's a good chance they're somewhere in that country of 314 million, we just don't know which beers and in which states. At least unlike Waterloo they have a product line that can actually compete with the better American crafters.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott