Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods in the US

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Bellwoods in the US

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I recall there being some talk around these parts a while back about Bellwoods signing on with a distributor in NY state to begin distribution there.

Seems like they've gone even beyond that as I was surprised to see Witchshark bottles for sale at City Beer in San Francisco a few days ago. $17.99 for a 500 ml bottle :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I recall there being some talk around these parts a while back about Bellwoods signing on with a distributor in NY state to begin distribution there.

Seems like they've gone even beyond that as I was surprised to see Witchshark bottles for sale at City Beer in San Francisco a few days ago. $17.99 for a 500 ml bottle :)
those bottles are going to get quite dusty

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Witchshark bottles for sale at City Beer in San Francisco a few days ago. $17.99 for a 500 ml bottle :)
You mean they won't be more expensive-tasting? :(
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Kudos for them for doing this. I've long wondered why it's only Quebec beers that are available in the U.S. We certainly have good ones up in ON and see why no reason why our brewers shouldn't try to get down there.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I recall there being some talk around these parts a while back about Bellwoods signing on with a distributor in NY state to begin distribution there.

That was my first thought too. At that price, with all of the well made, cheaper local IPAs in the California market, I can't see the demand being there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'd have to say it's not about demand but about selling 'different' things. I imagine the appetite for another tick in the ratings is strong there as it is here!

distr0

Post by distr0 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

That was my first thought too. At that price, with all of the well made, cheaper local IPAs in the California market, I can't see the demand being there.
Like... Pliny, which is delivered there weekly, for $6ish? haha

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:I'd have to say it's not about demand but about selling 'different' things. I imagine the appetite for another tick in the ratings is strong there as it is here!
Clearly a motivator. The store will sell one expensively imported case of 12, and 80 Californians will "rate" it from tiny samples, LOL.

Of course I hope it's more than that and Bellwoods does well and attracts a solid market. They might need to distribute something that California doesn't already have too many of.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

distr0 wrote: Like...Pliny, which is delivered there weekly, for $6ish?
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this sells in a market that's already flooded with fresh, world class, and affordable IPAs/DIPAs. $18 wouldn't be too out of line in a high-end beer bar where the customer expects to pay a significant markup for imports (a lot of the beerbistro bottles come to mind), but it's asking a lot for retail. That said, I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States and it's pretty cool to see them putting us on the map both at home and abroad.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cratez wrote: I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States and it's pretty cool to see them putting us on the map both at home and abroad.
That's a good point. I'm not sure who else could even pull that off and sell well. Probably Great Lakes and that might be it right now...

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

cratez wrote:That said, I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States
Monkeys has been in the States before, maybe still are.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

cratez wrote:That said, I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
cratez wrote: I believe they're the first Ontario crafter to ship to the States and it's pretty cool to see them putting us on the map both at home and abroad.
That's a good point. I'm not sure who else could even pull that off and sell well. Probably Great Lakes and that might be it right now...
Might be tough for Great Lakes to do it, since there is already a brewery in the US called Great Lakes that has pretty good distribution across the country. Probably be a trademark issue. I could see Mill Street though maybe trying to get into the US (or maybe Muskoka I mean they already have radio commercials so they are obviously trying to expand).

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Might be tough for Great Lakes to do it, since there is already a brewery in the US called Great Lakes that has pretty good distribution across the country. Probably be a trademark issue. I could see Mill Street though maybe trying to get into the US (or maybe Muskoka I mean they already have radio commercials so they are obviously trying to expand).
I hadn't considered the trademark issue but you are absolutely right.

Mill Street wouldn't survive in the US. Their beer isn't good enough.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Which products, and where in the U.S.?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott