Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

100 tap takeover

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

100 tap takeover

Post by icemachine »

via http://www.grbj.com/articles/77624-hopc ... rld-record
HopCat drafts tap-takeover 'world record'

The new HopCat East Lansing was already looking to go big with its 100-tap bar — Michigan’s largest draft-beer setup.

But at 11 a.m. Thursday, the doors will open for the first time with a 100-brew selection — from one brewery.

The restaurant and bar said it plans to set a “world record” for the most brews on tap from a single brewery, with 100 beers on tap from Bellaire-based Short’s Brewing Co.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

As much as I like variety, I hope this is a quality, not quantity event...

I've never heard of this brewery or their beers. Anybody have experienced them? And, please no, don't send me to Ratebeer to read the stats. ;-)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

You're hoping that a tap takeover that is marketed as having a world-record quantity is a quality, not quantity event? You might be out of luck on that one.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Short's is definitely a quality brewery. Probably had 7 or 8 of their brews over the last few years, and it was only the pils that I wouldn't revisit. Huma Lupa Licious can stand against just about any American IPA IMO
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

icemachine wrote:Short's is definitely a quality brewery. Probably had 7 or 8 of their brews over the last few years, and...Huma Lupa Licious can stand against just about any American IPA IMO
^ What he said. ^

They make some flavoured beers that people either love or hate, but I enjoy their takes on traditional and American styles most. Also, a second HopCat with double the taps is fucking awesome news! Michigan is calling my name again...
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting. I tried a number of Short's beers when I was down in MI a few weeks back for their Summer beer festival outside of Detroit. Liked most of theri stuff, but a few were a bit gimmicky.

Hope it's a great event though. The 99 beers that Dark Horse Brewing had at the festival were many "variations" of a smaller number of their beers (basically take one beer - add grapefruit to it, or barrel age it). But the ones I had were all fantastic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Very few brewers would interest me with all of their beers, let alone 100. Still a novel feat.

The 'more, better' trend has expanded Toronto's draught selections over just a few years, and I'm amazed demand has responded just as quickly. I have the sense that far more people are going out to bars that offer real craft beer.
In Beerum Veritas

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

cratez wrote:
icemachine wrote:Short's is definitely a quality brewery. Probably had 7 or 8 of their brews over the last few years, and...Huma Lupa Licious can stand against just about any American IPA IMO
^ What he said. ^

They make some flavoured beers that people either love or hate, but I enjoy their takes on traditional and American styles most. Also, a second HopCat with double the taps is fucking awesome news! Michigan is calling my name again...
^what they said^
Been to Bellaire for the weekend and toured the brewery and spent an evening at the Short's pub. Worth the trip. I really admire their total commitment to Michigan.
I love the flavoured one offs The Key Lime Pie is back out...draft only this year. Try it.
And from their regular line up the HumaLupa is as good as any American IPA.
Mike - let us know when your are ready for a road trip to East Lansing!!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Been to Bellaire as well. Stayed at a great B&B for two nights. The town is very lively in the summer considering the size of it. Top notch beers at Short's. Would and will definitely head back at some point.
We can get drunker than this!!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

irishkyle21 wrote:Been to Bellaire as well. Stayed at a great B&B for two nights. The town is very lively in the summer considering the size of it. Top notch beers at Short's. Would and will definitely head back at some point.
Us too!
This one?
http://www.bellairebandb.com/
They let us use their Mug club mugs!!
http://dev.shortsbrewing.com/about-us/mug-club/
Breakfast was ... :o
Would definitely go back to stay.