Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Windsor-Essex County Beer Enthusiasts, Unite!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

ECBS wrote:RE: Westvleteren 12

I've been in touch with Peter Lopaty (Esprit Agencies) about getting some Westy 12 shipped to the Windsor area. Unfortunately, it can only be purchased by the case (24 bottles x 330mL). Prices vary slightly with each order but I'm told the last order rang in at $375.60 per case (ouch!). Not sure how this stuff is normally priced in North America, but I was originally planning on grabbing a bottle in Madrid, Spain this summer for around $20 CDN. At $375.60 per case, we're looking at $15.65 per bottle.

I run a Beer Society out of Leamington, so I'd definitely be interested in going in on a case (I'd probably take anywhere from 6 to 12 bottles). Any of you guys have any interest in a bottle, or 6, or 12? :)

Peter has said that the Westy 12 order is "on the way", so we'll probably have to make the call fairly soon. Lemme know!
To answer my own question, I just recalled reading that the LCBO sold 6-packs of the stuff, in limited quantities, a couple years back. I didn't hear about it until it was too late, but it looks like they were priced at $76.85 per 6-pack (i.e. $12.80/bottle) and came with a couple glasses, too. Not sure we'll ever get another deal like that again, though...and even if we did, I'm not so sure the beer would find its way down to the Windsor region!

Thoughts?

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

The lcbo sold this last year, but only in select stores, needless to say none of it made its way to Windsor.
While it is a great beer, for me it does not blow the St. Bernardus 12 or the Rochefort 10 out of the water, and at its price point I am going to have to pass. Thanks for the offer though.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ECBS wrote:
ECBS wrote:RE: Westvleteren 12

I've been in touch with Peter Lopaty (Esprit Agencies) about getting some Westy 12 shipped to the Windsor area. Unfortunately, it can only be purchased by the case (24 bottles x 330mL). Prices vary slightly with each order but I'm told the last order rang in at $375.60 per case (ouch!). Not sure how this stuff is normally priced in North America, but I was originally planning on grabbing a bottle in Madrid, Spain this summer for around $20 CDN. At $375.60 per case, we're looking at $15.65 per bottle.

I run a Beer Society out of Leamington, so I'd definitely be interested in going in on a case (I'd probably take anywhere from 6 to 12 bottles). Any of you guys have any interest in a bottle, or 6, or 12? :)

Peter has said that the Westy 12 order is "on the way", so we'll probably have to make the call fairly soon. Lemme know!
To answer my own question, I just recalled reading that the LCBO sold 6-packs of the stuff, in limited quantities, a couple years back. I didn't hear about it until it was too late, but it looks like they were priced at $76.85 per 6-pack (i.e. $12.80/bottle) and came with a couple glasses, too. Not sure we'll ever get another deal like that again, though...and even if we did, I'm not so sure the beer would find its way down to the Windsor region!

Thoughts?
The stuff in the LCBO is unlikely to happen again. That was a one-off run they did in 2011 to fund some renovations at the monastery. Barring future renovations, Epirit's pricing is actually very good compared to what I've seen in bottle shops and bars here and in the States.

The LCBO pricing was the cheapest I've ever seen the stuff. I think the gift packs were going for 85 bucks (14.16 a bottle) in the States at the same time.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Raisy wrote:While it is a great beer, for me it does not blow the St. Bernardus 12 or the Rochefort 10 out of the water, and at its price point I am going to have to pass. Thanks for the offer though.
Hmm. While it's definitely on my beer-bucket list, perhaps it's best I try a bottle out first before splurging on a part-case haha. Thanks for your input, Raisy.

That said, if somehow there are still enough interested Windsor area people to split a case, I may still be in - might just check with the other guys in my beer club first.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Will buy 6.
Done deal.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

if you guys get 3/4 of the way and need another 6 to make it happen, let me know. i'd even consider picking it up and muleing it down there (mid to late may is my next trip) if it can't be shipped via LCBO.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We will be able to transfer to LCBO stores.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Just got some Heady Topper fresh from Vermont. If anyone in Windsor/Essex would be interested in trading for a couple cans, shoot me a PM!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Resurrecting this thread as I went down to Windsor on the weekend to check out the beer scene. Full disclosure, the trip was sponsored by the SW Ontario Tourism Commission.

It was a fun time & there's some good things going on down there. I'm writing up a full article for the home page of the site. Hopefully it can get a bit more publicity for what's happening in the area!

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I'm heading to windsor this weekend, willing to bring bellwoods beer to an interested party in trade for possible MI goodies. Let me know what you have and we can work something out. I come down a few times a year to visit my pops.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Check out the article about Windsor!

http://www.bartowel.com/the-acceleratin ... f-windsor/

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

My compliments on your great article Cass! Thanks for shedding some light on our little chuck of SW Ontario down here as we have long been off the "beer destination" map. Windsor itself is really coming along beer wise along with some of the surrounding small towns. Thanks again for the exposure!