Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Cellar Pictures?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That's an actual fridge though, isn't it? They're not recommended for long-term beer storage because they have low humidity levels and can dry out corks. Which probably wouldn't be an issue for 99% of beers for most people, I guess.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

squeaky, I've been using a fridge for the best part of 6 years now, and have yet to have any issues with drying corks. I've got the temperature hovering around 45F, and it sometimes gets close to 50F.

If you can get an all refrigerator, I say go for it! Especially as they can hold close to 200 or so bottles. And it was a bargain at less than $200.00.
Last edited by Torontoblue on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i have this space under the stairs, shelving was already there. it works pretty well. hard to get a good pic

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so I found some good wire racks for cheap and bought them today. I painted the cement walls/floors to clean up the area a bit. Best part is there is a door to hide the beer from my wife. I calculated that I can fit close to 2000 bottles in here! A good use of a day off from work.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

@spinrsx: that looks amazing!!!

I am guessing that you like your Belgian beer? 8)

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

squeaky wrote:That's an actual fridge though, isn't it? They're not recommended for long-term beer storage because they have low humidity levels and can dry out corks. Which probably wouldn't be an issue for 99% of beers for most people, I guess.
Ive had 30 year old dusty gueuze on more than one occasion, and never in my life have I crossed a dried out cork.

Maybe if you age wine for 50-60 years... but will never happen with beer. We just drink our shit better than wine geeks. I use a Pepsi fridge to great success for half my cellar

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

haha, yep! The shelf on the left (not pictured) is just belgians too. The one on the right is mostly canadian/american stuff

Each shelf has enough room for five cases of beer. Got them at Home Depot for $60 each
TheSevenDuffs wrote:@spinrsx: that looks amazing!!!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:haha, yep! The shelf on the left (not pictured) is just belgians too. The one on the right is mostly canadian/american stuff

Each shelf has enough room for five cases of beer. Got them at Home Depot for $60 each
My cellar is the same, just replace all of the Belgian beers with Imperial Stouts!

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

spinrsx wrote:haha, yep! The shelf on the left (not pictured) is just belgians too. The one on the right is mostly canadian/american stuff

TheSevenDuffs wrote:@spinrsx: that looks amazing!!!

Those wire shelves look great. Way better than the rickety IKEA wooden shelves I'm using. One day they'll fall I'm sure - I won't be happy that day.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Been using a combination of an old fridge left behind from the previous owners and some smaller idea shelves that sit in the crawlspace under my basement steps. Fridge is set to the lowest setting so everything's around 45-50 degrees F. My basement is always cool (never cold or hot) so I have no issues cellaring.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Here is my setup. Just a simple wood shelf that I built. I kind of wish I had just gone with simple wire racks in hindsight, but it still does the trick. The overflow is just in boxes along the back wall. Should probably buy or build another shelf.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

This tread is great because I'm going to show my wife all these photos and say "See, I don't have that much beer!"
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Pretty good collection of hill farmstead you have there. What all is there? When I visited they only had one thing worth cellaring.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

squeaky wrote:Pretty good collection of hill farmstead you have there. What all is there? When I visited they only had one thing worth cellaring.
The only HF bottle that isn't empty is the one on the 3rd shelf that is barely even noticeable. The ones along the top have all been enjoyed over the past 2-3 years. Most of the bottles are the regular offerings (saisons). I don't recall off the top off my head what is there, but I could list them off later if you want...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

@TheSevenDuffs - awesome looking cellar and lots of great bottles too!