Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario brewery re-branding: who's done a good job?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Ontario brewery re-branding: who's done a good job?

Post by atomeyes »

In the past 6 months, some of Ontario's breweries have re-branded. Not sure if I'm missing anyone.

Great Lakes (both bottles and cans of their new launches)
Amsterdam (416, Natural Blonde and their new logo)
Wellington (all cans look the same but are different colours)

just wondering how people feel about the re-branding or re-boots? any one like a specific brewery's re-design in particular?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well Grand River no longer looks like it's brewed by small children. Which is good.

I think GLB's silk-screened bombers can look very Rogue-ish. I'm talking the Oregeon brewery that pumps out Dead Guy and Brutal IPA. Not complaining though, GLB Bitter Wife looks great.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:Well Grand River no longer looks like it's brewed by small children. Which is good.

I think GLB's silk-screened bombers can look very Rogue-ish. I'm talking the Oregeon brewery that pumps out Dead Guy and Brutal IPA. Not complaining though, GLB Bitter Wife looks great.
They also did a nice job on their 25th anniversary stuff, although in a very different way.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Black Oak.
Lake of Bays.

Grand River still looks bad. Maybe not small children anymore but 13 year olds. My brother-in-law, who is a brand designer and has won awards for his packaging, has tried to see if they're interested in a design that looks like it was made by an adult but GR wasn't interested. That feeling became mutual after a visit to the brewery and casually chatting with an employee there.
Last edited by lister on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

lister wrote:Black Oak.
Lake of Bays.

Grand River still looks bad. Maybe not small children anymore but 13 year olds. My brother-in-law, who is a brand designer and has won awards for his packaging, has tried to see if they're interested in a design that looks like it was made by an adult but GR wasn't interested. That feeling became mutual after a visit to the brewery and cassually chatting with an employee there.
how long ago was this?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

matt7215 wrote:how long ago was this?
Early summer.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:Grand River-My brother-in-law, who is a brand designer and has won awards for his packaging, has tried to see if they're interested in a design that looks like it was made by an adult but GR wasn't interested.
Incredible because in contrast to Grand River, the tiny Bellwoods Brewery does amazing, almost 'collectible art' graphic labels for even their small runs and one-offs. Why can't GR see the merit in good product image I wonder. I still love them though.

Certain Trafalgar beers no longer look like a novice home brew but they may still taste that way.
In Beerum Veritas

nickw

Post by nickw »

The fact that you can buy t-shirts and framable prints of Bellwoods' labels (and people are buying them) shows that they're also missing out on potential revenue (and brand expansion).

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I think Nickel Brook deserves mention in here.

They had possibly the most unappealing labels in Ontario and they've slowly started to change them for the positive.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

whomever does the John Galt ale or whatever it's called has the worst labels.
makes my teeth hurt.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

atomeyes wrote:whomever does the John Galt ale or whatever it's called has the worst labels.
makes my teeth hurt.
To be fair though, the product is solid as heck.
saintjohnswort.ca

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

lister wrote: Lake of Bays.
Very true. Almost made me want to buy their IPA, but the price still seems pretty high...

And while not RE-brading, per se, I think my favourite "logo", is the Junction Conductor...it's just very stylish and kind of retro. Doesn't hurt that the beer inside is awesome. Really looking forward to them putting something else into the LC.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

saints_gambit wrote:
atomeyes wrote:whomever does the John Galt ale or whatever it's called has the worst labels.
makes my teeth hurt.
To be fair though, the product is solid as heck.
to be honest, and call me vain, but that label disgusts me so much that i've never been remotely inclined to buy it.
it is THAT ugly.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

JeffPorter wrote: And while not RE-brading, per se, I think my favourite "logo", is the Junction Conductor...it's just very stylish and kind of retro. Doesn't hurt that the beer inside is awesome. Really looking forward to them putting something else into the LC.
+1. Best beer branding in Ontario, period.

I also agree Great Lakes and Nickel Brook have both improved greatly, and think (sorry, haters) that Beau's does a very good job.

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

Belgian wrote:Well Grand River no longer looks like it's brewed by small children. Which is good.

Okay, I'm missing something. Haven't they always looked like this? http://grandriverbrewing.com/our-beers/ ... und-beers/