Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest Wax Seal

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

God help you lot if/when you ever get bottles of Black Butte Anniversary Ales, or Driftwood's Singularity...you'd be going thirsty due to being so weak :wink:

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Hardest bottle I've ever gotten into (thinking of opening, not dealing with surging after the fact) was a 3 Monts. Needed needle-nosed pliers.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Amsterdam released this Intsagram video on how to get past the wax seal - http://instagram.com/p/gIyjQmkjpw/#
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Iceman wrote:Amsterdam released this Intsagram video on how to get past the wax seal - http://instagram.com/p/gIyjQmkjpw/#
That's a video of the back of someone's hand.

Soods

Post by Soods »

I feared the worst while reading these posts, but I've had two bottles that I've opened and haven't had any trouble at all.

No knives, no acetylene torches and no gimmicks. Just a plain old bottle opener (you know the old ones with the can piercer on the other end) and pry away. Couldn't have spent any more that 10 seconds tops total for the 2 bottles.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I don't understand this thread at all.

Personally, I love the look of waxed bottles and I also somewhat enjoy removing wax from a bottle to open it ... kind of reinforces that I am about to drink a special beer (well, most of the time anyway).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I do too, when it actually comes off. Anyway, whatever. It's been flogged to death. The beer itself is great.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like the video Chris, and the baby saying 'help!' off camera at the beginning sounds like the beer crying to get out! Cute.

Lucky we have a trained chef and knife expert on hand to deal with this serious wax problem. Now what stupid things can we get up to?
:)
In Beerum Veritas

TCB

Post by TCB »

Was in a store yesterday that mentioned they were getting returns because the folks couldn't open the bottles.

I was going to try one anyways but now I got to buy a couple just to tackle this wax dip challenge.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Here's the edited video, with commentary:
http://www.torontobeerblog.com/miscella ... ial-stout/

Like I said: pretty simple.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

chris_schryer wrote:Here's the edited video, with commentary:
http://www.torontobeerblog.com/miscella ... ial-stout/
and what a shame, you had to drink two of 'em for your public service announcement! :)

the other bit I sometimes add to make it even easier, in addition to the notch I'll usually run the knife all the way around just under the cap (at 90 degrees to the bottle, blade parallel to the top of the cap). do this with the flat part, not the tip, and you can safely get all the way around. That way it comes off even easier once you get your notch since you don't have to tear through the wax around. Especially important with the really heavy wax bottles and those that seem more plasticy consistency (I'm looking at you, surly darkness... some of them are double and triple dipped!)
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Soods wrote:I feared the worst while reading these posts, but I've had two bottles that I've opened and haven't had any trouble at all.

No knives, no acetylene torches and no gimmicks. Just a plain old bottle opener (you know the old ones with the can piercer on the other end) and pry away. Couldn't have spent any more that 10 seconds tops total for the 2 bottles.
This

OK, I may have taken ten seconds per bottle. Used an opener as described above, used the point to score the wax peeled it off in two pieces and popped off the top.

Seems like a tempest in a teapot to me 😉

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

toweringpine wrote:
Soods wrote:I feared the worst while reading these posts, but I've had two bottles that I've opened and haven't had any trouble at all.

This

OK, I may have taken ten seconds per bottle. Used an opener as described above, used the point to score the wax peeled it off in two pieces and popped off the top.

Seems like a tempest in a teapot to me 😉
Some were way worse than others. When I grabbed mine, I made sure to get ones with the thinest wax. Kish84 & JB84 had one where the wax was stupid thick. It almost looked like a joke, like the guy dipping it was probably laughing thinking about people trying to open it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I think this must be the case too. I defy any human to open the ones I had in ten seconds (except by blow torch of course).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I ran into this problem last week... Chris did made it look really easy, but it didn't work nearly that well with a dull hotel knife.