Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tempest Wax Seal

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Tempest Wax Seal

Post by midlife crisis »

Stupid artsci question, perhaps, but how the hell do I open these wax sealed Tempest bottles? Took me ten minutes and just about lost a finger. Is there a trick? Beer inside is terrific but this is borderline not worth it to me.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

midlife crisis wrote:Stupid artsci question, perhaps, but how the hell do I open these wax sealed Tempest bottles? Took me ten minutes and just about lost a finger. Is there a trick? Beer inside is terrific but this is borderline not worth it to me.
A pairing knife that you don't care about works well.

I have one of these guys and I use the cork screw...

http://www.bigkitchen.com/product/world ... ne-Opening

I find the trick with thick wax is to make a "seam" where the bottle cap ends and then just use a good opener to pull it off wax and all...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thanks. That was my eventual method but I found it very cumbersome and even a bit dangerous. Melt the wax with a blow torch? The current wax is especially thick and rubbery.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Had this exact same problem the other night. After barely making a dent in the wax I held the bottle sideways, cut near the bottom of the bottle cap with a butcher knife, and once I was able to peel some of the wax off, opened it with a bottle opener. Probably not the easiest or safest way to do it but it got the job done. It's a total pain in the ass - and a first world problem if there ever was one :wink: - but you won't have to worry about this beer oxidizing if you choose to cellar a few.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I slice downwards from just below the collar with a paring knife, I can then grab a flap and tear most of the wax below the cap away
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like Ice's method, and would do that before chilling the bottle which just hardens the stuff.

I always use a capsule cutter blade. The Trudeau waiter's corkscrew has a well-machined serrated blade, you can just cut around under the cap and then the cap remover has a lot of purchase on the gummy edge of the cap. Hardly need to remove any wax.

A good lifetime investment and you will never struggle with corks again either.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I tried with a capsule cutter but got nowhere. However, mine is not serrated. You're right, that is some kind of tough, plastic-y wax.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate waxed bottles. Opening a bottle should require one tool at most. I don't care how good the brewer thinks the beer is. I don't care if it's a special edition. I don't care if it is a six year old bottle of Dark Lord. I don't care if Michael Jackson personally sealed this bottle with the intent of enjoying it during the last moments of the Mayan Apocalypse.

Waxed bottles contribute negatively to the experience of opening and drinking a beer and are mostly an excuse to charge more because "ooh. fancy." I know I'm supposed to come down on the side of the craft beer angels and advocate anything that gives the movement a bit of zazz in the eyes of the public and allows breweries to make a little more margin per bottle, but I freakin' hate waxed bottles.
saintjohnswort.ca

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't really feel strongly one way or the other against waxed bottles in general (though I do feel that Amsterdam lays it on a little thick, where the Mill Street I had last night it just popped right off the flip-top) but I have to say that I seriously doubt that they 'contribute negatively to the experience of opening and drinking a beer' for most people. The average buyer probably picked that bottle because the wax looked neat, and even if they struggled with it a bit they probably forgot about it shortly after opening the bottle. Heck, for the average consumer bottle conditioning is probably a much larger negative contribution to the enjoyment of a beer than a wax seal is.

Please don't confuse that with a criticism of bottle conditioning.

edit: Also, this shouldn't be taken as a criticism of people who post here not liking wax. I'm just pointing out how it probably works for the average consumer of these beers.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I might agree with you generally (ie when there is wax but it is relatively light), but there is a shitload of wax on these Tempests. Believe me, it negatively affected my experience for sure.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

midlife crisis wrote:I might agree with you generally (ie when there is wax but it is relatively light), but there is a shitload of wax on these Tempests. Believe me, it negatively affected my experience for sure.
I think the one I nicked my thumb on was a Great Lakes 25th anniversary something. I realize that people upthread have developed a technique for dealing with the wax, but I don't think this is a transaction that should require you to develop a technique. I don't want opening a beer to involve a steak knife.
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think a Trudeau Waiter's Corkscrew constitutes "one tool". Get one and be a master of all that ferments.

By the way I agree that the wax is dangerous and stupid, because people will get frustrated and try to hack away at it with all kinds of unsafe objects.
In Beerum Veritas

trub_man

Post by trub_man »

They bought the wrong wax. Bet the bank they bought wax from Beer Wine Filter and not North Country Malt.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

With the benefit of experience, took me less than five minutes to get one open today. Still stupid, pointless and a bit dangerous. But also let me reiterate the beer inside is really, really good. I am loving it. Great job by Amsterdam.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

is the wax different than last year? i drank a 2012 the other night and opened it just like any other bottle, using slightly more force to cut through the wax