Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spiegelau/Dogfish/SierraNeveda IPA Glasses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I don't drink from Spiegau often, but when I do it's in one of my drunken stupors.
In Beerum Veritas

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Sears has these 40% off, $14something for 2 right now

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just picked up a set of these for $7.99 at Home Sense

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

J343MY wrote:Just picked up a set of these for $7.99 at Home Sense
Home Sense or Home Outfitters? I didn't see any at Home Sense and the manager had never heard of that brand.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

northyorksammy wrote:nice, thanks - but $20 per glass? Do people think that's reasonable?
It's 10 dollars per glass, plus tax. They're sold in sets of two.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
J343MY wrote:Just picked up a set of these for $7.99 at Home Sense
Home Sense or Home Outfitters? I didn't see any at Home Sense and the manager had never heard of that brand.
I got them at Home Sense in Cambridge.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

That's a good price...but I must resist purchasing more beer glasses ;)

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

instantkamera wrote:
chris_schryer wrote:spinrsx, they're thin but they're bullet-proof. I won't ask you to do it to yours, but they have videos of knocking over empty glasses on counters, and they bounce. The glass has some coating that I assumed was hype until I saw a sales rep smack two wine glasses (same thickness glass) together to act as a chime. Think "heavy toast with bottles" level of violence. Of course, they're not indestructable, but Spiegelau makes some of the best glass in the world (they joined forces with Riedel a while ago, another world-class stemware manufacturer). I realize it sounds like I'm on the take, but I'm not. I just have a few of their glasses (the IPA as well as the beer sampling set that has a pilsner, tulip and weisse glass) and they are the best glassware I've used. Worth the money at full-price, and a total steal on sale. I'm going to pick up a pair of tulips for Fred and I to use on the Edge, so that brewers don't have to give us branded glassware for the sake of drinking one beer.
There's a reason they are the predominate water glass at restaurants; and Riedel glasses are great too. I was fortunate enough to get a shit-tonne of Riedel stuff when my wife and I married, and I can attest to the fact that, fragile as they may seem, they are quite tough.

I have these http://www.luigibormioli.com/products/v ... 5/item/94/ for everyday drinking glasses. They are built like a brick shit-house and have still broken easier than any of my beer or wine glasses.

I think the only beer glass I have broken is the shitty Leffe goblet, which is cracked on the base but still usable.
Personally, I've never had a Duvel tulip from the Christmas sets last me until the next Christmas. They're really fragile.

I've been using glassware from a Libby set that my girlfriend gifted me. She found them while shopping for cheap bras during a Sears close-out sale. Set came with two differently shaped tulips, one nonic, a pint (not nonic), a pils glass, and a weiss glass.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

mintjellie wrote:I've been using glassware from a Libby set that my girlfriend gifted me. She found them while shopping for cheap bras during a Sears close-out sale. Set came with two differently shaped tulips, one nonic, a pint (not nonic), a pils glass, and a weiss glass.
Exactly what I use, with the addition of aforementioned IPA glass. The rest of my glassware, Duval included, basically just sits there. Now if I could get an unbranded Duval tulip, that would most likely make it in the regular line up.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

mintjellie wrote: I've been using glassware from a Libby set that my girlfriend gifted me. She found them while shopping for cheap bras during a Sears close-out sale. Set came with two differently shaped tulips, one nonic, a pint (not nonic), a pils glass, and a weiss glass.
These ones?

great glasses, not made in China (the ones they sell at Wally are). Im actually getting rid of these (giving them away - hence the img) because I simply have no room. Im at a full ikea cabinet of branded glassware now.

Anyone near Brantford is welcome to them.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
mintjellie wrote:I've been using glassware from a Libby set that my girlfriend gifted me. She found them while shopping for cheap bras during a Sears close-out sale. Set came with two differently shaped tulips, one nonic, a pint (not nonic), a pils glass, and a weiss glass.
Exactly what I use, with the addition of aforementioned IPA glass. The rest of my glassware, Duval included, basically just sits there. Now if I could get an unbranded Duval tulip, that would most likely make it in the regular line up.
I wouldn't bother with the Duvel tulip, branded or not. The glass is just too fragile. Like I said, you'll be lucky if it lasts a year.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Yes, those ones. I absolutely love them too. They feel nice and substantial in the hand.
instantkamera wrote:
mintjellie wrote: I've been using glassware from a Libby set that my girlfriend gifted me. She found them while shopping for cheap bras during a Sears close-out sale. Set came with two differently shaped tulips, one nonic, a pint (not nonic), a pils glass, and a weiss glass.
These ones?

great glasses, not made in China (the ones they sell at Wally are). Im actually getting rid of these (giving them away - hence the img) because I simply have no room. Im at a full ikea cabinet of branded glassware now.

Anyone near Brantford is welcome to them.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

mintjellie wrote: I wouldn't bother with the Duvel tulip, branded or not. The glass is just too fragile. Like I said, you'll be lucky if it lasts a year.
What are you doing to your Duvel glasses? I have one of my Duvels in heavy rotation and have never broken one. Been using this one for at least 4-5 years...

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

El Pinguino wrote:I have one of my Duvels in heavy rotation and have never broken one.
Same, mine's been well used for over a year. It feels really sturdy. I picked it up used from a thrift shop. Maybe the older Duvel glasses are more durable?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ wonder about that myself, I have rarely broken any beer glasses (although knocking them on the floor will do that.) My two Duvels have held up for almost ten years.

If you are breaking glasses while washing them in the sink, or while hand-drying them, your are reefing on them with too much torque - I learned that with wine glasses, you have to handle them like eggshells. Why is that a hard thing to do?

Thrift shops are great for unwanted 'gift box' glassware. It's worth having a number of shapes and sizes around to experiment with - and the right general type for each style.
In Beerum Veritas